Custom tube doors - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Custom tube doors

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
You do pretty amazing welds with flux core I've never liked using flux core, my welds look like crap if I use it

Axle upgrades and 37s next winter? Those 35s look a little small
That's what I was thinking, can't believe most of those welds are with flux core. Did you do the cage that way too?

Looking forward to the axle build soon

Unread 07-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes I did the cage with flux core also. For me laying the beads with flux core is fairly easy, what sucks is the time to clean it the slag and splatter to make it look good.

And yeah I know the 35's look small now, but I'm looking forward to when I get 37's. Right now its just nice to have absolutely zero rubbing anywhere, including inner fenders. The axle project is going to require quite a bit of money so its going to take a little while yet before I can get there.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
How much do those weigh? They look pretty light, which is a good thing. And they look great too

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
justanotherjpr

As always, great job, Eric.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Yes I did the cage with flux core also. For me laying the beads with flux core is fairly easy, what sucks is the time to clean it the slag and splatter to make it look good.

And yeah I know the 35's look small now, but I'm looking forward to when I get 37's. Right now its just nice to have absolutely zero rubbing anywhere, including inner fenders. The axle project is going to require quite a bit of money so its going to take a little while yet before I can get there.
Ah, makes sense. Of course you don't show the pictures of your welding before you clean up all the slag and crap lol. Only the good looking stuff. Guess I'll start practicing a lot more with the flux core before I buy a gas tank.

I hear you on the axle build. I don't even have my D30/C8.25 built all the way and I've already spent a fortune on them. A few of my friends just completely built up D60/14b combos and they said it nickel and dimed the crap out of them because of all the bearings and snap rings and everything else they need.
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
How much do those weigh? They look pretty light, which is a good thing. And they look great too
They are light compared to the stock doors. That's another huge benefit to going doorless is getting rid of all that weight. The front stock doors are about 75 lbs each with power windows and locks. The rear ones are about 45 - 50 lbs. So that is the only thing I wasn't looking forward to - adding more weight after shedding all that. I was considering going with a thinner wall tube to reduce weight but for whatever reason I didn't. I would estimate all four tube doors combined weigh about the same as one stock front door (75 lbs).

Unread 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #22
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Yup, stock (power) doors are damn heavy! I've been trying to find XJ doors at reasonable price here, without power locks or power windows, they are quite a bit lighter. I've been thinking between tube doors and half doors.. propablly going to modify my power doors to half doors, removing everything unnecessary. Should come out pretty light.

I'd fab tube doors, but it's usually pretty wet on the trails here all the time, so I prefer to have some protection against the mud while wheeling

Oh, it seems like we might not be able to make it to Reno on September after all We've got about 2500 miles to drive in two weeks, if we come to Reno it'd add about 500 miles to that. But, I haven't given up all hopes of meeting up. I'll let you know by early August

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #23
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 07-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

nice doors. as soon as i get a welder (hopefully a month or so) im makin something like that for my XJ. i have a couple questions, your front fenders "trim" looks like part of your exo cage but whats the rear fenders trim?
and how did you get that sharp line of metal that hangs down inside your front fender wells out of the way? im afraid im going to slice open my tire with that. its a sick jeep though, i hope mine will look somethin like that someday(like..when i actually have money.ha)

[FONT="Arial Black"]1990 XJ[/FONT]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]3" Rancho 5000 lift[/COLOR]
D30 front D35 Rear
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]33x12.5 Mudders sitting on 15" M/T Beadlocks[/COLOR]
Doorless
[COLOR="DimGray"]Homebrew discos[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=nwiTJdave;11190438]Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hoobly_Goob;10060314]Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #406[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
1993F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993F250 View Post
and how did you get that sharp line of metal that hangs down inside your front fender wells out of the way? im afraid im going to slice open my tire with that.
Cut slits in it and bend it over with a big hammer.
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #26
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Cut slits in it and bend it over with a big hammer.
do i need to weld or anything? thanks

[FONT="Arial Black"]1990 XJ[/FONT]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]3" Rancho 5000 lift[/COLOR]
D30 front D35 Rear
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]33x12.5 Mudders sitting on 15" M/T Beadlocks[/COLOR]
Doorless
[COLOR="DimGray"]Homebrew discos[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=nwiTJdave;11190438]Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hoobly_Goob;10060314]Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #406[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
1993F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #27
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

nope, just cut relief cuts in the pinch seam and whack it all flat...tada
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh, it seems like we might not be able to make it to Reno on September after all We've got about 2500 miles to drive in two weeks, if we come to Reno it'd add about 500 miles to that. But, I haven't given up all hopes of meeting up. I'll let you know by early August
10-4 just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993F250
your front fenders "trim" looks like part of your exo cage but whats the rear fenders trim?
and how did you get that sharp line of metal that hangs down inside your front fender wells out of the way?
Ditto on the seam, just make cuts in it and fold it over.

My rear fenders are just trimmed the usual way (same cut & fold) and coated with Herculiner. I'll tube those out maybe next winter.

Unread 08-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #29
K9coal
1996 XJ Cherokee 

tube door latch

i am working on a new set of tube doors and I really like the latch where did you get it.

sorry, no need to reply i found it in your build thread.

thanks
matt
K9coal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #30
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and Eric, that vid of your exhaust in your build thread is all lies. I got that same exhaust setup and just put it on and it's freakin loud! Not too bad driving down the road, but for some reason at idle, it resonates like crazy.

/offtopic

Nice doors!

Tags
cherokee , doorless , latches , loop striker , tube doors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.