Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #121
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
love the look on those wheels. so bad ***.
Thanks, i like 'em too. I think the rim stiffener really makes the wheels look sick. And if i bend an outer lip with these things, idk what ill do lol.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #122
02greytj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

where did u get those rim stiffeners?
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #123
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02greytj View Post
where did u get those rim stiffeners?
Copperhead fab...i wouldnt reccomend them, theyre customer service is some of the worst ive ever gotten.

Unread 08-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #124
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, the rear wheel fell off. Yep, fell off. I felt the rear of the jeep wobbling around, so i slowed down, it wobbled more, i slowed down more. I stopped in the side of the road, everything seemed tight, driveshaft, u bolts.

I finally limp it to my street, and i make the turn, and the jeep falls on top of the tire, it was wedged between the axle and the rear quarter panel... What a great feeling that was.

I walk to my house, grab the jack, walk back down to the HEEP, put it on 4 low, put the jack under the pumpkin and start to drive. I make it all of 4 feet, and the jack falls over, and so does the jeep. Next i put under the axle tube, drive about 50 feet, and it fell off. I finally limp it into my driveway.

I look, and the wheel studs failed on the axle. They looked kinda rusty, and the scored up near the base, but i thought theyd be alright, im guessing with the strain from that spool, they just broke one by one, until the wheel fell off.

Backing plate, as well as rear brake is fubar'd.

All in all, it sucks ***, but im just happy it didnt happen on the highway/near anyone that could get hurt etc.

I guess i need new studs now

Tommorow i gotta grab some pics of the street, theres a grind mark from the jack all the way down the road. lol.

Unread 08-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #125
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

its not from the spool. its from the wheel spacer. They put un needed load on the studs. All around they are bad ideas.

Drag cars run spools with 1000 + whp on slicks with perfect traction for seasons without stud issues.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #126
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I agree, ditch the spacers. It doesn't look like they were centering on your axle flange, basically riding on just those puny 7/16" studs in single sheer.
1 ton yj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #127
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Man you are so lucky this happened at low speeds, this is the second situation I've heard of in the past week that could have been disasterous! My friend 97tjeff sheered his front driver side lower CA bolt and lost the CA connection to the axle. If he was going faster then 30 mph his axle could have wandered and pulled the jeep with it causing a severe roll over.

I'm just glad your wheel went out at low speeds and near your home.
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #128
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ive have a similar problem but with the front wheel and going down the mtn.

94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #129
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
its not from the spool. its from the wheel spacer. They put un needed load on the studs. All around they are bad ideas.

Drag cars run spools with 1000 + whp on slicks with perfect traction for seasons without stud issues.
Ive got no choice but to run spacers.

Like i said, the studs, had a groove around the base, i guess the last guy with these axles, ran it with the lug nuts loose so the rim damaged the studs. They were also rusty.

Theres plenty of guys running wheel spacers without issue, i used to run them front and rear, with no issues.

These spacers are actually hub centric.

I know for a fact the spool helped the wheel fall off, theres much more stress while making turns, and the turn onto my street is very sharp, and thats where it finally failed completely.

Im sure its a mix between the wheel spacers, the ****ty old studs, and of course the spool.

Unread 08-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #130
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
I agree, ditch the spacers. It doesn't look like they were centering on your axle flange, basically riding on just those puny 7/16" studs in single sheer.
They are hub centric.

It was the ****ty old studs.

Unread 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #131
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Man you are so lucky this happened at low speeds, this is the second situation I've heard of in the past week that could have been disasterous! My friend 97tjeff sheered his front driver side lower CA bolt and lost the CA connection to the axle. If he was going faster then 30 mph his axle could have wandered and pulled the jeep with it causing a severe roll over.

I'm just glad your wheel went out at low speeds and near your home.
Glad to hear that he didnt get hurt, im also glad it happened on my street.

Unread 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #132
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, people don't maintain those spacers as often as they should and once they break loose they will reak havok on those studs, causing major stress. Aluminum spacers will expand more then metal when heated up so that can cause the nuts to become loose. Best to always retighten and check those spacer nuts anytime you do your rotation.

Overall spacers are perfectly fine to run. I know many people that have ran spacers for years with absolutely zero problems, as long as they regularly maintained them. I'll be running custom spacers on my front D30 to match the width and bolt pattern of my rear JK D44.
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #133
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I run spacers too but I have eight 9/16" studs holding them on at each end.

It looks like there's enough meat on the axle flange to drill out for bigger studs, and room in the spacer for them. If you absolutely have to run the spacers, I'd recommend bigger studs. It's cheap insurance.
1 ton yj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #134
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Yep, people don't maintain those spacers as often as they should and once they break loose they will reak havok on those studs, causing major stress. Aluminum spacers will expand more then metal when heated up so that can cause the nuts to become loose. Best to always retighten and check those spacer nuts anytime you do your rotation.

Overall spacers are perfectly fine to run. I know many people that have ran spacers for years with absolutely zero problems, as long as they regularly maintained them. I'll be running custom spacers on my front D30 to match the width and bolt pattern of my rear JK D44.
Totally agree. Those hubcentric spacers are perfectly fine as long as they are thick enough to have a separate set of studs. I run a set myself with no issues - they just have to be maintained/checked regularly.

Wheel "shims" are the dangerous ones - like you find on ****ty hondas
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #135
jeeplesjeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sexy jeep man..... got a little bored and decided to edit one of your pics
jeeplesjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.