Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #61
justanotherjpr

Looks good. How big is the gap between the inner frame and the uca mount? If you can stand 1/8", i would slip some 1/8 flat stock between the link mount and the frame. Weld the flat stock to the frame and the link mount to the flat stock. Seems that it would spread the load out better.

justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #62
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Looks good. How big is the gap between the inner frame and the uca mount? If you can stand 1/8", i would slip some 1/8 flat stock between the link mount and the frame. Weld the flat stock to the frame and the link mount to the flat stock. Seems that it would spread the load out better.
The gap is very slim, it looks bigger than it is in the pictures, but i like that idea.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #63
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got the stiffeners completely welded in, the only thing is im concerned about small gaps between the stiffeners and the frame rail, could i seal the thing up with some seam sealer? You guys think it would hold up and stop water from getting between the frame and stiffener?

I mocked up my control arms:

Steering and trackbar mocked up:

Set my caster at 6 degrees when the coil buckets are at 0, completely burned in the control/coil bracketry and the upper control arm link tower. Painted it, rustoleum brush on, semi flat

My DOM is here, so i have basically everything i need to finish the jeep, oh yeah, i also need som etype of flex joint at the axle, poly joints will NOT work, because the coil brackets are mounted wider than my control arm brackets, so rather than cutting the coil brackets back off, and playing with those until the point directly at the brackets on the frame, ill just order some type of flex joint, whether it be a heim, currie johnny joint, or a ballistic joint. Besides im sure a smidgeon of misalignment wont do much.

Im leaning towards ballistic joints because i could trade my poly bushings in and get those? Anyone out there ever used ballistic joints? Id rather stay away from a heim at both ends.

Unread 07-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #64
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Nice work!

I've been wondering about the same thing with frame stiffeners on how to fill the gaps and prevent water from going between the uniframe rails and stiffeners. Living in an area where salt is used pretty extensively during winter, it would rot the stock uniframe pretty damn quickly.

edit: As you wrote, it probably is a good idea to weld the upper mount to the inside of the frame rail. Those link mounts take a beating, so any extra support is a goood idea IMO.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #65
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This is looking great! Any particular reason your sticking to leaf springs and drum brakes in the rear?
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #66
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
This is looking great! Any particular reason your sticking to leaf springs and drum brakes in the rear?
$$$$

haha, a rear 4 link is not cheap/easy to do, i figure im getting some good practice with the 3 link, and down the road ill do a 4 link rear.

As far as drums in the rear, those will be changed to discs, but right now im just worried about getting this thing on the road.

Thanks guys!

Unread 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #67
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

nice work.

im liking this build
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #68
86cherokeek20
1986 XJ Cherokee 

whats the price on ur three link as in the brackets coil buckets joints and DOM tube plannin on doin this on mine as well as 4 link in the rear
86cherokeek20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #69
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
I drilled two 7/8s hole on both side of the frame where the old crossmember stud/nut used to go. That was NOT fun, i broke one of my expensive step drill bits, and a couple other drill bits. I was using my dads super heavy duty milwaukee drill, that damn thing almost broke both my wrists multiple times.
SAME HERE. I had to drill 2 giant holes for my RC Long Arms...whatta *****. I was drilling with my dads milwaukee (how ironic) and mym friend even had a grip on it too and I thought for sure I broke my wrist when it grabbed. Ya live and learn I guess lol

Looks awesome man, what welder are you using?
Unread 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #70
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonXJ View Post
SAME HERE. I had to drill 2 giant holes for my RC Long Arms...whatta *****. I was drilling with my dads milwaukee (how ironic) and mym friend even had a grip on it too and I thought for sure I broke my wrist when it grabbed. Ya live and learn I guess lol

Looks awesome man, what welder are you using?
Thanks! And yea, those drills have some SERIOUS torque.

The welder is a 220v 155a Marquette with 75/25 gas.

My dad got the welder out of the body shop at his job, they gave it to him for free

Unread 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #71
3vze28
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lets see some more progress pics bud.

Build Thread--->[COLOR="Blue"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/[/url][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/"][/URL][/COLOR]
3vze28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #72
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, but for some reason, i forgot about this thread.

I finished building all of the control arms, and the axle is bolted into the jeep. Of course i have no pics, nor will i until saturday.

Now, heres the things i want/need to get done:

Axle side panhard mount (still trying to think of a way to make one)

I want to drill two holes on the frame, by the upper link mount, run the two bolts through the frame, just for some more support for the mount.

Swaybar mounts

Im going to ditch the ballistic way of mounting the coils, i want to make my own bumpstop tube, that welds to the coil baseplate that will also hold the coils in place, and then hold the coils down with a stock style coil retainers. I know that the interior diameter of an XJ coil is 4 inches, so id like to go down to home depot and see if they have any plumbing pipe with an OD 4 inches. If you dont understand what im saying, you soon will, once i get back from vacation, and i can get back to work.

I also need to do my rear brakes and brake lines.

Unread 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #73
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Im going to ditch the ballistic way of mounting the coils, i want to make my own bumpstop tube, that welds to the coil baseplate that will also hold the coils in place, and then hold the coils down with a stock style coil retainers. I know that the interior diameter of an XJ coil is 4 inches, so id like to go down to home depot and see if they have any plumbing pipe with an OD 4 inches. If you dont understand what im saying, you soon will, once i get back from vacation, and i can get back to work.
I know you mean you want a way to hold the spring in place on the buckets. I used Ballistic Fab's parts and the spring hold down plate was just too flimsy. I think it was 1/4" steel. Mine bent and I bought some 3/8" steel and made substitutes which are still working.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #74
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I know you mean you want a way to hold the spring in place on the buckets. I used Ballistic Fab's parts and the spring hold down plate was just too flimsy. I think it was 1/4" steel. Mine bent and I bought some 3/8" steel and made substitutes which are still working.
Have any pics?

Thanks fbb

Unread 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #75
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any reason you put the upper on the long tube side, instead of over the pumpkin?

Quote:

Now, heres the things i want/need to get done:

Axle side panhard mount (still trying to think of a way to make one)
We put the same axle in my friend's YJ last fall with a 3 link/panhard. You can kinda see the bracket in this picture (ignore the hi lift handle tie rod).

The offset bracket came from one of my friends who owns a shop in Palisades Park. If you want one I can put you in touch with him.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.