Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #31
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I put a waggy front axle on my XJ. I used ballistic fab LCA brackets which were just pieces of flat steel. It was way too much work to make those fit correctly. Buy LCA and UCA brackets which have the correct angle off perpendicular with the tubes built in. If I remember correctly, the LCA brackets need to be angled at 5 degrees and the UCAs are 12 degrees. I had to cut some off one side of the LCA brackets to make the bolt through the bracket parallel to the hole in the LCA. Pre fabbed brackets are a lot easier to deal with.

The OTK track bar mount was hard to deal with too. There are so many things that need to connect to the axle around that same area. There is the trackbar, steering damper and the anti sway bar link for the passenger side. You might want to think about how all that will work out before you weld any of those brackets on the passenger side.

foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #32
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I put a waggy front axle on my XJ. I used ballistic fab LCA brackets which were just pieces of flat steel. It was way too much work to make those fit correctly. Buy LCA and UCA brackets which have the correct angle off perpendicular with the tubes built in. If I remember correctly, the LCA brackets need to be angled at 5 degrees and the UCAs are 12 degrees. I had to cut some off one side of the LCA brackets to make the bolt through the bracket parallel to the hole in the LCA. Pre fabbed brackets are a lot easier to deal with.

The OTK track bar mount was hard to deal with to. There are so many things that need to connect to the axle around that same area. There is the trackbar, steering damper and the anti sway bar link for the passenger side. You might want to think about how all that will work out before you weld any of those brackets on the passenger side.
Any pictures you have of the axle, would help me out a bunch.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #33
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I tried several different steering setups but settled on a semi-high steer inverted Y from a V8 ZJ. I did have to cut up the tie rod and drag link and weld them back together to make them fit since everything needed to be shorter for the high steering. I say semi high steer because I ran the tie rod ends into the bottom of the high steering arms.

Here are a couple of views of the OTK track bar bracket and the steering damper. Note that my OTK bracket was wider than my track bar end so I filled the gap with a piece of 1/4" flat steel.

I don't think I have a picture of the final configuration I made for attaching the anti sway bar links. making those attachment points was the second hardest thing to do after getting the LCA brackets put in the right place at the right angles.
Unread 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #34
AzBuckfever
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just out of curiosity, what kind of welder are you usin'?
AzBuckfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #35
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Mine is a miller matic 175 220V with straight CO2. When I weld something thick I cut bevels and clean it after every pass till I fill it up to the original surface.
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #36
mogo116
2013 JK Wrangler 

nice to see the build i have seen your jeep a few times near circle ave i have a friend that lives over there with the blue 97 tj i have the red 98 tj hit me up sometime id give you a hand if i have off from work
mogo116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #37
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogo116 View Post
nice to see the build i have seen your jeep a few times near circle ave i have a friend that lives over there with the blue 97 tj i have the red 98 tj hit me up sometime id give you a hand if i have off from work
Oh hey, whatsup man, i think ive seen you around.

Unread 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #38
3vze28
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i havent been on in a bit, but what happened to that 8.8 you just pulled and were building up?

Build Thread--->[COLOR="Blue"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/[/url][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/"][/URL][/COLOR]
3vze28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #39
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vze28 View Post
i havent been on in a bit, but what happened to that 8.8 you just pulled and were building up?
Sold it to my friend anthony down the street. (the kid that bought your wheel spacers and bumper)

Unread 06-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #40
4DoorXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vze28 View Post
got it in my garage almost ready to go under the heep. just waiting on calipers, brake line and my ruffstuff brackets that i just ordered. Ive been workin on it everyday to get it ready for our summer rausch trip. and im going to pick up a HP 30 from a 4cyl cherokee to put up front.
pics

4DoorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #41
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Way to hijack my thread.....dick

Make your own.

Unread 06-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

3 pages and still no build? Well you did weld a couple pre-cut pieces of steel together haha. Just giving you a hard time. Cheers

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #43
3vze28
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hahaha...i need 4.10's lol

Build Thread--->[COLOR="Blue"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/[/url][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/"][/URL][/COLOR]
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #44
3vze28
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lets see the progress

Unread 07-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #45
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ford 8.8 out:

dana 44 spring perche welded up...mmmmm what pretty welds

dana 30 out

frame stiffeners:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.