Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Reply
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,921
Custom 3 link and Waggy 44 swap into my XJ

Found some wagoneer 44s on craigslist, they were out of an '89, but they had been swapped into a YJ. The front has warn lockouts, 4.88 gears, and a mini spool. The rear has 4.88s and a mini spool. I paid 800 for the two of them. Oh yea, the guy threw in a 3/8s hd dif cover too

Here are the axles when i first picked them up:



Gears:



Okay, so here are my plans.

For the upper link ill be using:

-7/8s ruff stuff heims

-1.5 inch ID .25 wall DOM, probably going to be sleeved, i need to do more research.

Lower links

-(2) 1 1/4 ruff stuff heims

-(2) ballistic fab poly bushings

-1.5 ID .25 wall DOM, possibly going to be sleeved with 2 inch ID DOM, not sure on the width yet. I still need to do a little more research.

Axle Bracketry

- Ballistic Fab Coil buckets, with LCA mounts, and shock mounts. http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Link-bracket-coil-spring-shock-mount-combo_p_1461.html

- Im going to be re-using a trackbar mount that i have, and most likely the trackbar itself too.

-Barnes 4wd, adjustable link tower. http://www.barnes4wd.com/product_info.php?products_id=2400

"Frame" Bracketry

- Ballistic Fab link mount http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Heavy-Duty-Frame-Link-Mount_p_1511.html

- Ballisitc Fab upper/lower link bracket http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Dual-frame-link-mount_p_1164.html

They will both be welded to HD offroad engineering Frame stiffeners.

Steering

-JCR OTK knuckle steering, and eventually chevy flat-tops and true high steer.

Im planning on a ~26' lower and a ~31 inch upper, Should keep the pinion pointed at the output on the t-case even at full droop. Around 8 inches of vertical seperation at the axle, and around 3-4 at the frame.

For all of the welding, ill be using my Marquette 220v with 75/25 gas, and .030 wire.

Practice welds:




I have all of my "junk" on order, i hope to start fabricating by this weekend.

The only progress i have on the axles, is that they are both stripped of their old YJ SOA brackets, they still need to be ground down to bare metal though.

Grinding/ cutting sucks in this weather, all the sparks stick right to my sweaty skin.



I guess ill throw in a before shot of my XJ, once im done, its gonna have 35 inch MTR/kevlar, and soft 8s (the official rim of jeepforum)



All comments, questions, criticism, concerns are welcome

__________________
Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
B2CARPEN
Registered User
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,852
Sounds like an excellent start for a nice axle upgrade! I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure since I just acquired a pair of JK D44s and I'm thinking about doing a 4-link / 3 link combo.

Also, great score on those axles Those Waggy 44s are considered the "true" D44 in strength and they already come equipped with the right gearing and spools

BTW - very clean and nice looking XJ 2D!
__________________
IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Sounds like an excellent start for a nice axle upgrade! I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure since I just acquired a pair of JK D44s and I'm thinking about doing a 4-link / 3 link combo.

Also, great score on those axles Those Waggy 44s are considered the "true" D44 in strength and they already come equipped with the right gearing and spools

BTW - very clean and nice looking XJ 2D!
Thanks man! It should be a fun build. Once im done with this whole ordeal, ill probably do a 4 link rear.

As far as strength goes, they should be very well off with a some aftermarket shafts, and 35s.

If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the JK 44s?
__________________
Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
B2CARPEN
Registered User
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Thanks man! It should be a fun build. Once im done with this whole ordeal, ill probably do a 4 link rear.

As far as strength goes, they should be very well off with a some aftermarket shafts, and 35s.

If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the JK 44s?
The rear JK D44 is basically brand new w/ 800 miles from a JK unlimited so it's only 30 spline w/ open carrier, but is complete caliper to caliper and in awesome shape. I picked up the rear a couple weeks ago and paid $300

The front JK D44 is still TBD, I'm just waiting for the call to go and pick it up. If I had to guess I would say it will be priced a little higher around $500 or so since it's 32 spline and has a locker.

From what I've seen, these axles go for a hell of a lot more then what I'm paying for but since the guy is in a hurry to get rid of them to complete his rock jock D60 upgrade the price was amazing. I think a standard rear JK D44 (non-rubi) sells for $700 / $800 depending on the condition and the front JK D44s sell for over $1,000

As far as strength goes for your axles, I wouldn't even worry about upgrading the shafts if they are 30 spline. Should be plenty strong enough to handle 35s w/ some moderate wheeling. Now if you do extreme wheeling then yes upgrade w/ some chromos. And if you plan on doing a 4 link rear would you consider doing a double triangular 4-link? I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, if I do anything at all.
__________________
IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
xGArfx
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paramus NJ
Posts: 859
Whats the spline count on the outer stubs? I thought that was one of the only issues with waggy front axles besides being low pinion. I was told once by a wise man that the outter stubs are smaller then a 30 but it could of just been rumor. If so, upgrade the outers, new 760s and snap rings and be doneee. Sell those mini spools and get lunchboxes.
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
BeepBeepGoJeep
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Purcellville, Va
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
The rear JK D44 is basically brand new w/ 800 miles from a JK unlimited so it's only 30 spline w/ open carrier, but is complete caliper to caliper and in awesome shape. I picked up the rear a couple weeks ago and paid $300

The front JK D44 is still TBD, I'm just waiting for the call to go and pick it up. If I had to guess I would say it will be priced a little higher around $500 or so since it's 32 spline and has a locker.

From what I've seen, these axles go for a hell of a lot more then what I'm paying for but since the guy is in a hurry to get rid of them to complete his rock jock D60 upgrade the price was amazing. I think a standard rear JK D44 (non-rubi) sells for $700 / $800 depending on the condition and the front JK D44s sell for over $1,000

As far as strength goes for your axles, I wouldn't even worry about upgrading the shafts if they are 30 spline. Should be plenty strong enough to handle 35s w/ some moderate wheeling. Now if you do extreme wheeling then yes upgrade w/ some chromos. And if you plan on doing a 4 link rear would you consider doing a double triangular 4-link? I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, if I do anything at all.
Im pondering trying to do the same thing and get some JK 44s front and back instead of building another HP30 and xj44 for when i go 35s just incase one day i want 37s or something, i would possibly try to get the t-case from it also.
__________________
[]IIIII[]
BeepBeepGoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGArfx View Post
Whats the spline count on the outer stubs? I thought that was one of the only issues with waggy front axles besides being low pinion. I was told once by a wise man that the outter stubs are smaller then a 30 but it could of just been rumor. If so, upgrade the outers, new 760s and snap rings and be doneee. Sell those mini spools and get lunchboxes.
Spools are gonna be a *****. Powertrax/aussies are in the works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-92...-/250394476344

And ill get some 760 and full circle snap rings, one of my buds just did that on his 30, you probably woulddnt know him
__________________
Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
The rear JK D44 is basically brand new w/ 800 miles from a JK unlimited so it's only 30 spline w/ open carrier, but is complete caliper to caliper and in awesome shape. I picked up the rear a couple weeks ago and paid $300

The front JK D44 is still TBD, I'm just waiting for the call to go and pick it up. If I had to guess I would say it will be priced a little higher around $500 or so since it's 32 spline and has a locker.

From what I've seen, these axles go for a hell of a lot more then what I'm paying for but since the guy is in a hurry to get rid of them to complete his rock jock D60 upgrade the price was amazing. I think a standard rear JK D44 (non-rubi) sells for $700 / $800 depending on the condition and the front JK D44s sell for over $1,000

As far as strength goes for your axles, I wouldn't even worry about upgrading the shafts if they are 30 spline. Should be plenty strong enough to handle 35s w/ some moderate wheeling. Now if you do extreme wheeling then yes upgrade w/ some chromos. And if you plan on doing a 4 link rear would you consider doing a double triangular 4-link? I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, if I do anything at all.
Holy deal!!! I would have picked those up in a heartbeat!

If i was to go links in the rear (longgggg down the road)\

Id want to double triangulate to get rid of the track bar.
__________________
Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
DualPurposeXJ
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Holy deal!!! I would have picked those up in a heartbeat!

If i was to go links in the rear (longgggg down the road)\

Id want to double triangulate to get rid of the track bar.
You don't need a double triangulated 4 link to get rid of the track bar
DualPurposeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualPurposeXJ View Post
You don't need a double triangulated 4 link to get rid of the track bar
Looks like i still need to do my homework on the rear. Luckily, ive done plenty on the front
__________________
Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
B2CARPEN
Registered User
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Looks like i still need to do my homework on the rear. Luckily, ive done plenty on the front
A single 4 link should be able to provide enough support to eliminate the trackbar but a double triangular would give you even more support from side to side movement.
__________________
IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
justanotherjpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,336
Looks good. Check out RCV shafts instead of aftermarket UJ shafts for the front. A little more money but an unbeatable warranty and way stronger than a 760x.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,921


Welded up my barnes 4x4 link tower today.

I think i have some pretty welds

Yes, i did fix the weld all the way to the right.
__________________
Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
2doorxj
Web Wheeler
 
2doorxj's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NNJ
Posts: 2,921
__________________
Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
BeepBeepGoJeep
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Purcellville, Va
Posts: 1,356
Paints dripping lol.
__________________
[]IIIII[]
BeepBeepGoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.