cryslar 8.25 limited slip or open diff - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
NYREVIS24
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: central,new jersey
Posts: 86
cryslar 8.25 limited slip or open diff

how can i tell if my cryslar 8.25 is limited slip or open diff.? i know your supposed to ad addative to a limited slip diff , if the diff is open is it ok to use the additive, i figure id just add the addative cause im not sure ? would that addative be ok in an open diff? thanks

NYREVIS24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM
cj7guy
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,171
Mine was open.

Pull out somewhere while turning with one rear wheel on gravel or mud. Hit the gas hard, if just the one spins....excessively, you'll know it's open.

07 JKU - 6spd - LSD rear
cj7guy is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM
vabeachtennis
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: va beach
Posts: 99
I have a 1996 8.25 2wd and I called the dealer (parts department) and gave the last 8 numbers of my VIN and he said it was an open diff...........
vabeachtennis is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM
djb383
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Republic of TEXAS
Posts: 2,200
Lift both wheels (front or rear) and turn one wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns the same direction, it's LSD. If the opposite wheel turns opposite direction, its an open diff.
djb383 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
djb383
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Republic of TEXAS
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7guy View Post
Mine was open.

Pull out somewhere while turning with one rear wheel on gravel or mud. Hit the gas hard, if just the one spins....excessively, you'll know it's open.
Not necessarily, if the LSD clutches are burned up, an LSD diff will act/perform just like an open diff, in your scenario.
djb383 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Gnl.Weirdness
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,308
U need special fluid with an LSD right? Even if you use synthetic fluids?
Gnl.Weirdness is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Cherokee-at-16
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Lift both wheels (front or rear) and turn one wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns the same direction, it's LSD. If the opposite wheel turns opposite direction, its an open diff.
cool, i was wondering why the wheels spined in different directions like that, i stood 30 minutes in shop class 2 days ago just spinning the a wheel and watching the other wheel spin in the other direction.
Cherokee-at-16 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 PM
djb383
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Republic of TEXAS
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
U need special fluid with an LSD right? Even if you use synthetic fluids?
No special fluid is needed for LSD. If the diff makes noise in a tight turn, a small amount of LSD additive needs to be added to the diff oil/fluid. If it doesn't make noise, it's not necessary to add it as it just makes the LSD clutches slip easier for less noise in a turn. Making the clutches slip easier kinda defeats the purpose of limited slip.
djb383 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM
XJ Jay
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg,Mb
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
No special fluid is needed for LSD. If the diff makes noise in a tight turn, a small amount of LSD additive needs to be added to the diff oil/fluid. If it doesn't make noise, it's not necessary to add it as it just makes the LSD clutches slip easier for less noise in a turn. Making the clutches slip easier kinda defeats the purpose of limited slip.

thats why its called a LIMITED slip, it can only limit the about of slipping to 1 wheel, and there not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. its also the cheapest, quietest way the manufactures can provide a traction enhancing diff. I/my shop have always put the friction modifier when we service a LSD style diff, as it can cause noisy operation and premature wear in the clutches. anyway, the LSD in my jeep is chowderd but i can still roast both tires, and up in the air both tires turn in the same direction when i spin 1 tire by hand. as some one mentioned above call a jeep dealer in you area with your vin and ask for a "vehicle information report". it will be 3-4 pages and has all the options and standard equipment your jeep came with.

HISWhite 99 XJ Sport
5" RC/ProComp lift, Serious long arms, 33" Cooper STTs, Soft 8s, 4.56s, Aussie locked D30, LSD 8.25,discos, armoured blah blah blah, HP44/9" coming soon
HERSBlack 08 JK Unlimited X, Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit, Rubi coils 35" TSRs and 5.13s
XJ Jay is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Doitsouthstyle
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 160
Just out of curiousity did any 96 and previous even come with a limited slip with the 27 spline chys. 8.25?
Doitsouthstyle is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
djb383
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Republic of TEXAS
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
thats why its called a LIMITED slip, it can only limit the about of slipping to 1 wheel, and there not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. its also the cheapest, quietest way the manufactures can provide a traction enhancing diff. I/my shop have always put the friction modifier when we service a LSD style diff, as it can cause noisy operation and premature wear in the clutches. anyway, the LSD in my jeep is chowderd but i can still roast both tires, and up in the air both tires turn in the same direction when i spin 1 tire by hand. as some one mentioned above call a jeep dealer in you area with your vin and ask for a "vehicle information report". it will be 3-4 pages and has all the options and standard equipment your jeep came with.
I simply stated that a special oil/fluid/lube is NOT needed for a clutch type LSD diff, as was stated previously.......only an additive to the regular gear oil is needed if the clutches chatter in a tight turn. Technically, the additive allows the clutches to "slip" easier in a turn, thus reducing/eliminating clutch chatter in a turn. When the clutches slip, they also wear and a clutch type LSD can eventually become so worn that it performs no better than an open diff, additive or not.
djb383 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
XGoBoomJ
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Reno
Posts: 367
LSD is useless.. basically acts like open when under load..

just get a locker lol

I am the Stormtrooper..
XGoBoomJ is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 05:24 PM
djb383
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Republic of TEXAS
Posts: 2,200
+2 on the locker. Here's a decent general description of an open diff vs a LSD vs a locking diff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw
djb383 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
XJ Jay
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg,Mb
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
they also wear and a clutch type LSD can eventually become so worn that it performs no better than an open diff, additive or not.
like the LSD in my jeep. im gonna take the plunge and spend the $50 on a clutch kit for my LSD and rebuild it. if it still a turd off road, AUSSIE FTW

HISWhite 99 XJ Sport
5" RC/ProComp lift, Serious long arms, 33" Cooper STTs, Soft 8s, 4.56s, Aussie locked D30, LSD 8.25,discos, armoured blah blah blah, HP44/9" coming soon
HERSBlack 08 JK Unlimited X, Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit, Rubi coils 35" TSRs and 5.13s

Last edited by XJ Jay; 03-19-2010 at 11:20 PM.
XJ Jay is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 PM
tbburg
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoBoomJ View Post
LSD is useless.. basically acts like open when under load..
...,if you don't know how to drive. I have two of them. With gradual, careful application of either the standard bakes or the parking brake, I can almost lock the front, and stop the rear from spinning, independently or together.

That said, for hard wheeling, lockers of some type work better.

To the OP, The LS was an available option on all years. If you can't do a vin check, pull the dif cover(probably doing that anyway, if you're servicing the dif., right?) A limited slip has springs between the side gears. An open dif has no other visible parts inside the spider gears other then the cross shaft.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."
My other car is also a Jeep,.. and so is the other one,.. and that one too. How many do you own before it's "a herd" ?
tbburg is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Does too much additive affect limited slip diff performance? sprintagogo XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 10 08-21-2009 04:02 PM
2000 Limited:open Rear Diff...how Can I Tell director1101 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 4 07-20-2008 10:14 AM
Limited Slip diff noise when turning gorman XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 1 12-20-2006 03:54 PM
Lockers or limited slip diff mnjeep XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 19 01-07-2005 02:55 AM
Open, Limited Slip? ECUXJ77 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 2 04-10-2004 10:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome