cryslar 8.25 limited slip or open diff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cryslar 8.25 limited slip or open diff

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
NYREVIS24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

cryslar 8.25 limited slip or open diff

how can i tell if my cryslar 8.25 is limited slip or open diff.? i know your supposed to ad addative to a limited slip diff , if the diff is open is it ok to use the additive, i figure id just add the addative cause im not sure ? would that addative be ok in an open diff? thanks

NYREVIS24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine was open.

Pull out somewhere while turning with one rear wheel on gravel or mud. Hit the gas hard, if just the one spins....excessively, you'll know it's open.
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
vabeachtennis
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 1996 8.25 2wd and I called the dealer (parts department) and gave the last 8 numbers of my VIN and he said it was an open diff...........
vabeachtennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lift both wheels (front or rear) and turn one wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns the same direction, it's LSD. If the opposite wheel turns opposite direction, its an open diff.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7guy View Post
Mine was open.

Pull out somewhere while turning with one rear wheel on gravel or mud. Hit the gas hard, if just the one spins....excessively, you'll know it's open.
Not necessarily, if the LSD clutches are burned up, an LSD diff will act/perform just like an open diff, in your scenario.
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

U need special fluid with an LSD right? Even if you use synthetic fluids?
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Lift both wheels (front or rear) and turn one wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns the same direction, it's LSD. If the opposite wheel turns opposite direction, its an open diff.
cool, i was wondering why the wheels spined in different directions like that, i stood 30 minutes in shop class 2 days ago just spinning the a wheel and watching the other wheel spin in the other direction.
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
U need special fluid with an LSD right? Even if you use synthetic fluids?
No special fluid is needed for LSD. If the diff makes noise in a tight turn, a small amount of LSD additive needs to be added to the diff oil/fluid. If it doesn't make noise, it's not necessary to add it as it just makes the LSD clutches slip easier for less noise in a turn. Making the clutches slip easier kinda defeats the purpose of limited slip.
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No special fluid is needed for LSD. If the diff makes noise in a tight turn, a small amount of LSD additive needs to be added to the diff oil/fluid. If it doesn't make noise, it's not necessary to add it as it just makes the LSD clutches slip easier for less noise in a turn. Making the clutches slip easier kinda defeats the purpose of limited slip.

thats why its called a LIMITED slip, it can only limit the about of slipping to 1 wheel, and there not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. its also the cheapest, quietest way the manufactures can provide a traction enhancing diff. I/my shop have always put the friction modifier when we service a LSD style diff, as it can cause noisy operation and premature wear in the clutches. anyway, the LSD in my jeep is chowderd but i can still roast both tires, and up in the air both tires turn in the same direction when i spin 1 tire by hand. as some one mentioned above call a jeep dealer in you area with your vin and ask for a "vehicle information report". it will be 3-4 pages and has all the options and standard equipment your jeep came with.
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Doitsouthstyle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just out of curiousity did any 96 and previous even come with a limited slip with the 27 spline chys. 8.25?
Doitsouthstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
thats why its called a LIMITED slip, it can only limit the about of slipping to 1 wheel, and there not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. its also the cheapest, quietest way the manufactures can provide a traction enhancing diff. I/my shop have always put the friction modifier when we service a LSD style diff, as it can cause noisy operation and premature wear in the clutches. anyway, the LSD in my jeep is chowderd but i can still roast both tires, and up in the air both tires turn in the same direction when i spin 1 tire by hand. as some one mentioned above call a jeep dealer in you area with your vin and ask for a "vehicle information report". it will be 3-4 pages and has all the options and standard equipment your jeep came with.
I simply stated that a special oil/fluid/lube is NOT needed for a clutch type LSD diff, as was stated previously.......only an additive to the regular gear oil is needed if the clutches chatter in a tight turn. Technically, the additive allows the clutches to "slip" easier in a turn, thus reducing/eliminating clutch chatter in a turn. When the clutches slip, they also wear and a clutch type LSD can eventually become so worn that it performs no better than an open diff, additive or not.
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
XGoBoomJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

LSD is useless.. basically acts like open when under load..

just get a locker lol
Unread 03-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

+2 on the locker. Here's a decent general description of an open diff vs a LSD vs a locking diff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
they also wear and a clutch type LSD can eventually become so worn that it performs no better than an open diff, additive or not.
like the LSD in my jeep. im gonna take the plunge and spend the $50 on a clutch kit for my LSD and rebuild it. if it still a turd off road, AUSSIE FTW

Last edited by XJ Jay; 03-19-2010 at 11:20 PM..
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoBoomJ View Post
LSD is useless.. basically acts like open when under load..
...,if you don't know how to drive. I have two of them. With gradual, careful application of either the standard bakes or the parking brake, I can almost lock the front, and stop the rear from spinning, independently or together.

That said, for hard wheeling, lockers of some type work better.

To the OP, The LS was an available option on all years. If you can't do a vin check, pull the dif cover(probably doing that anyway, if you're servicing the dif., right?) A limited slip has springs between the side gears. An open dif has no other visible parts inside the spider gears other then the cross shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.