Crossover steering issues with xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Crossover steering issues with xj

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
jeepinit87

Crossover steering issues with xj

hey guys and girls. I just sighned up on here so im not too sure about where to post. If this is wrong im sorry. I have a 95 Xj i am looking to do cross over steering or some sort of steering upgrade on. I do not rock crawl or go in alot of mud. It is my daily driver. The jeep has 10in lift on it right now with 36x15.50x15 m/t MTZ tires also on a 12in wide wheel. The back spacing is 3.75. I have searched 3 days non stop and found nothing. What im looking for is the perfect daily driver set up meaning tight responsive steering and something strong. I do still have stock set up now with drop pitman arm. I would like to do crossover. I have looked at 1ton set up by jsr? I think that is right. They said it is more of a HD set up than a daily set up. I called off road only today about the u turn and they said i got too much lift for their set up. Bassically my options are limited. I am looking for pics and or details on how to go about making it drive good again. I know welding and other task are involved im just tired of chasing the truck from side to side and have a tiny bit of shimmy when i hit a bump. Any help would be greatly appreicated ppl. Thanks o and if it makes a diff i have long arms....

jeepinit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

welcome aboard!
and get ready for the "that is way too much lift" comments....
here is a pic of my junk.
i run a "mere" 6.5" of lift on 37's, and this set up cured every issue i had with wondering steering, deathwobble, and so on.
1 rule to keep in mind, make sure you get the trac bar from the "frame" as close to possible in length and angle as the drag link.
you can barely see my trac bar, as it is pretty much directly behind the drag link, the way it is supposed to be
i sued all chevy 1 ton tre's and made my own DOM tie rod and drag link. trac bar is also DOM with a johnny joint on one end and a bushing on the other.
trac-bar-n-ramweb.jpg

before the hydro assist. note how the trac bar is pretty much right behind the drag link. zero bumpsteer here!
steeringweb.jpg

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
jeepinit87

so you made what you have? Do you dd the truck? I just am stumped over the too much lift thing. It rides good and drives pretty good with the stock y set up. I am really in need of figuring out what all is REALLY involved in the crossover set up and where to get it all. I know jks has the sway bar mounts for axle but what about the knuckle and the rods? And wouldnt it be better for me to use tre's on a dd? Im puzzled because i never thought about all this before the lift for some reason.
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

yes my junk is dd'd. in fact, the wife drives it about 50 times more than me! i work away, so she gets to pick between the jeep and a range rover...the jeep normally wins out
for a true crossover steering, i need to know what axle you have up front. for 44's you can buy the arms. for a 30, there is one good cost effective option i know of that i have used on yj's that were soa. would have to check whether it is an option for coils though...
my 1 ton tie rods are excellent both on and off road. i had heims, but changed them all out after i got sick of the clunking etc. my junk steers dead straight with zero problems on back roads and the highway at 75mph. offroad it is the same, no problems.

martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
jeepinit87

i have a 30 coil sprung. Just need alot of options because as yal might know its something you gonna droop a lot of loot in and only want to do once
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

have a look at jb4x4.com at the soa bracket they have if you want crossover steering, you may need to ask them if it will work with coils on a xj though. i have used their bracket a few times on soa yj's. run a few stitch welds along it and the knuckle and leave it alone. it works very well.
i have zero issues with my setup, so all is not lost if crossover steering is out for a while. if you need measurements etc, i can get them when i get back home in a couple of weeks.

martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:27 AM   #7
jeepinit87

thanks for the info. i do need measurements. I also need to know what and where to get everything. im not new to the jeep world but as far as steering im new.
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
jeepinit87

57 veiws only one response. Can someone guide me in the right way of steering for jeep with 10in of lift. I would like to know what yall run and how you like it
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
89eliminator
1989 MJ Comanche 

buy the JCR OTK system.
Unread 08-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
jeepinit87

will it work with this amount of lift
Unread 08-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

JeepinOutfitters - TeraFlex Dana30 High Steer System, TERA-1813000 I would contact tera-flex and ask them about their high steer kit linked here. It may work for you.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
jeepinit87

i contacted them and they said no. Thanks for the try tho boss
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
89eliminator
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinit87 View Post
will it work with this amount of lift
i dont see why it wouldnt. call them up.
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i am going to give my honest opinion here...
go full custom and be done with it.
there, that didnt hurt did it?
i cant remember how much i have in my setup, but it is a lot less than all the "kits" around, and every bit, if not more, as strong.
any half decent fab/offroad shop should be able to hook you up in a few hours with something that is perfect. hell if you were by me i would do it for you.
another option, if you get the tie rod ends and do all the measuring, i will weld up the tubing for you with the inserts. then just screw everything together.

martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
jeepinit87

im leaning towards the custom thing. I was thinking about the tera flex knuckle and i know with that i would kave to move sway bar mounts. I seen a nice sturdy looking set but cant remember where. Do you know where i can find some thet wont bend and will work with cross over? Also where do i get the tubing and what size. You really seem to be alot of help and i appreicate it alot. and what tre's?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.