Crazy Fuel Problem, HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Crazy Fuel Problem, HELP

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
mdw

Crazy Fuel Problem, HELP

My nephew has a 1992 XJ Plain Jane model, 2 wd, auto with a 4.0 approx 110000 miles, it runs good BUT it has a gremlin I drove it for 2 weeks no problem, I give it to him and 2 weeks later it dies, ok Uncle Mike to the rescue, we tow it home, we go over the grounds and clean them, check battery terminals and wiring and clean. Started up ran great for a day Today, I am driving it gas gauge flutters from 3/4 to empty then dies, wait a while gauge goes up starts right up, driving along gauge is 1/2 to 3/4 goes down to empty then dies, starts moving up to 1/2 starts running again, drove like this for 30 miles I NEED A DRINK!!! It acts like it runs out of fuel when the gauge goes to e but starts running when the gauge moves up and yes there is 40.00 of gas in it any ideas???

mdw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

whenever the gas gage goes down to empty, the jeep will stall because it thinks it's out of gas even if there is gas in the tank.

LOL, J/K.

There is probably an electrical connection problem somewhere. I had a similar issue with mine. Mine is a 95, so I don't know if it's the same as you 92, but here is what I found.
There is a plastic cover around the steering column just behind the steering wheel. I found it was getting hot enough to meld on the bottom. I pulled the plastic cover off and found that the main connector had come loose. I had to cut some of the old melted wire out and replace the wire and connector. After that it ran fine.
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I would imagine that the fuel pump and the sending unit in the tank share a ground. When that ground is lost, both components quit working. I would be checking the harness connector to the fuel pump module.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.