Crankshaft Position Sensor Test - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Crankshaft Position Sensor Test

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 04-04-2004, 01:01 AM   #1
jondeaux

Crankshaft Position Sensor Test

Hello,

I appologize in advance, I have been hunting for the testing procedures for the CPS. I cannot find the test procedures but there is a lot of discussion of this infernal beast.

Can someone post this or provide a link, I have an 89 Cherokee, 4.5 RE lift, 4.0L, it started fine yesterday, now it won't. Cranks fine. It did this a few months ago and I had the CPS replaced cost 140.00 bucks. I figured if it was the same I would save 100.00 and replace myself.

I have it pulled and need to test.

Thanks,

jon

jondeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Should only be $35 - $30 to replace it, I think I paid $37 for mine at the dealer for my 90.

Maybe someone with a manual for that year will chime in and help ya out.
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
jondeaux

yeah,

$43 bucks, thats not so much the problem. I hate to replace a good part. It seems that a coil can cause the same effect, no spark to the plugs.

I have read in the threads that there is a way to test the CPS, if it is in fact bad. I just cannot locate it in a search through this or the 4x4 forum.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

keep the rubber down & shiny side up.

later,

jon
jondeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
mikebrodt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondeaux
yeah,

$43 bucks, thats not so much the problem. I hate to replace a good part. It seems that a coil can cause the same effect, no spark to the plugs.

I have read in the threads that there is a way to test the CPS, if it is in fact bad. I just cannot locate it in a search through this or the 4x4 forum.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

keep the rubber down & shiny side up.

later,

jon
The haynes manual says " connect and ohmmeter across terminals A and B (marked on the connector). The meter should read no continuity (open). If the reading are not to specification, replace the CPS."

Hope that helps.
mikebrodt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
shylow

If you search using "ohms" you'll find some info. I think it should be 200 +or- 75 ohms.
shylow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:24 AM   #6
1337j33px0r

on an 89, you should read approx 200 ohms across the terminals.

open and dead short both indicate problems!

I'm guessing, that you'll see a dead short, and that the place that replaced it didn't tie the wire out of the way and it burned off on the exhaust manifold. (the insulation around it can last a few months before it burns through enough to cause problems)

pull the wire up from the connector a little and inspect for signs of heat damage. I have seen this WAY too often.

if the intake manifold heat shield is gone, that doesn't help either (grab one from a junkyard and put it on)
1337j33px0r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.