Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Crankshaft Position Sensor

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  XJdamyankee 
#1 ·
Is anybody else familiar with these? About a year ago, my wife was driving my '88 Cherokee to the store when it just stopped running. She was at a red light and the engine cut out. Later when I got there to check it out, here is how it was behaving:
Turning the key would make the engine crank, but it just wouldn't start.

We ended up having it towed to a repair shop, and the diagnosis was a bad crankshaft position sensor. I forget how much it set me back (about $150, I think), but after that it started like a charm.

Unitl today that is. I just went to start her up earlier and it is doing the same thing it did roughly a year ago. Think it's that same sensor again? Where would I find it under the hood? Would an auto parts store carry those, and is it something I could replace on my own without dishing out over 100 bucks to a mechanic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

#2 ·
yes you can replace it yourself it is located on the top of the transmission so you would need to lower the transmission to get at it

#3 ·
Hmm..... lower the transmission, huh? I'm not very handy when it comes to automobiles. I've done some work myself before. Replacing the starter, alternator, radiator hoses, doing oil changes, stuff like that. Knowing my skill level, would lowering the transmission be something you think I could handle?

#4 ·
falkan said:
Where would I find it under the hood? Would an auto parts store carry those, and is it something I could replace on my own without dishing out over 100 bucks to a mechanic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)
Any parts store is gonna have this, they are around 60-80 bucks. You can replace this on your own. You DO NOT have to lower the transmission to access it. It is located on the driver's back side of the engine above the bellhousing. You will need a lot of extensions and maybe a wobbly joint. I remember seeing a write-up on it recently.

Have you tried the search button? EDIT: Found out that search function is temporarily unavailable to non-paid members.

#5 · (Edited)
Just replaced mine on a '90 XJ. If you look the car from behind, CPS is found on the driver's side on the bellhousing, at about 11 'o clock. You have a 1988 Renix engine, it should have a 11mm (or 12, can't remeber anymore) bolts, two of them. I used a 3/8" wrench, two extensions and a wobbly joint. The first time you do it it is a PITA, the next time you know how to get to it and it's fairly easy.

You get to the two bolts the easiest by crawling under the car, and using those xtensions and a wobbly joint and master that to the bolts from either side of the exhaust pipe. It's a pretty tight space between bell housing, transmission and your floor. Those two bolts come off towards transmission/ rear of the car.

edit: sorry, '88 Renix..

#6 ·
red_01_xj said:
yes you can replace it yourself it is located on the top of the transmission so you would need to lower the transmission to get at it
hahaha, you do not need to lower the transmission to change the cps.

:wave:

#8 ·
the CPS can be hard to diagnose, and it may work and then not work the next second.

If it doesn't wanna start again, unplug it from the engine connection and then replug it in. Sometimes that is all it takes to get it to work to drive to the parts store to pick up a new, working, CPS.

Best of luck, it's not too hard to replace. just get a couple of extensions and a wobble socket and you're good to go.

#9 ·
Just replaced mine a few weeks ago, its easy. Just crawl under the drivers side with a socket and some extensions. Its sitting at the top of the bell housing around the 11:eek:o position, 2 bolts, 1 plug and its done, no more then 10-15 minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.