Cracked head! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cracked head!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 08-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cracked head!

So I've been having some over heating issues on my 2000 xj. It's over heated twice and I've noticed fluid levels drop. When it would over heat, it would go back to operating temp within a couple minutes and be fine after that. I drained all the radiator fluids and changed the t stat. When I did I noticed the fail safe t stat was in the locked position letting me know it got really hot! I cleaned the housing and the temp sending unit and put it back together and it ran fine after that for about a month.

Once again it over heated then went back to running temp within a couple minutes. I took the jeep home and let it sit over night. Woke up the next day and the radiator was drinking the water up! And I noticed my overflow bottle was always drained as well.

I know a good sign of a cracked head is a white milky sludge built up on the fill cap. I can also see water droplets when I shake it. I know I need to replace the head but can't figure what head to go with. I almost feel like I read so much debates I confused myself! I read somewhere that with a 0630 head on a 2000 I'll have to get new headers? Or will this head be a straight swap other then mine will have a coil pack? What years should I look for when checking out junk yards. Or would I be best off buying a reman head from somewhere like clear water?

I live where the temps see +100 days more then not during the summer and I would hate for this to happen again. I guess I'll take this time to do some deep cleaning of the engine bay and the block itself since it will be so open!

Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Before you declare the head cracked, do an inpection on the head by either having a pro "sniff" the radiator gases for hydrocarbons (a sign of a crack) or pull the valve cover and visually inspect the area around the rocker bosses between #3 and #4.

Another item to consider in your overheating adventure is a rad. cap that is not holding pressure. It might allow water to enter, but lack the pressure retention needed to keep it from boiling over.

It's quite possible you have the crack you surmise, but I would do some more investigation before tearing into it. And as far as a new head, either a "TUPY" boneyard head, or a new one from Clearwater Cylinder Head in Florida would be the most "plug and play" choices.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Clear water had my my new head to me in 2 days
I recommend them if you can shell out the $$
Remember to keep the dowel pins off the old head since the brand new one doesn't Come with them and it can be a real pain to have to run to the junkyard for dowel pins smh ask me how I know
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just a thought, as it worked for me and saved me a ton of money...had the infamous 2000 cracked head between the 3 & 4 pistons...CEL on and off, radiator fluid missing, and milkshake slime under the oil cap...had a Blue Devil treatment done and its been rock solid for over 4k miles with it...ymmv.
axlaxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

To be honest if you do a "head gasket treatment"
It may work for a little while but it's a bandaid and at when it blows again not only are you going to have to change the head but you will probably have quite a mess on your hands.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #6
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's for sure a crack in the head. I can see the hairline crack and I can see a small puddle of antifreeze by one of the push rods. I've already started removing things to get the head off. From what I've gathered I can also use a head off an 03+ wrangler and it will work with my engine correct? I'm here in California so I know the emission things change here. If all else fails I can get a head from Clearwater but I'd like to avoid that is possible. So if anyone can help on what years I need to look for in order to get this jeep back up and running it would be awesome!
Unread Yesterday, 02:17 AM   #7
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not 100% but any 02-06 wrangled head is what you need. If your pulling it from a junk yard the letters TUPY will be cast into it. If it don't avoid it. It either has to have tupy cast into it or from Clearwater. That should help narrow you down some more.
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:44 AM   #8
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecarder
I'm not 100% but any 02-06 wrangled head is what you need. If your pulling it from a junk yard the letters TUPY will be cast into it. If it don't avoid it. It either has to have tupy cast into it or from Clearwater. That should help narrow you down some more.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how new of wrangler I could look for. Going to do some calling around tomorrow. Id rather not spend that kind of money right now on a head from clear water haha. Going to be taking the head off tomorrow either way to get started. Gives me time to do some deep cleaning now that everything is out of the way ha.
Unread Yesterday, 05:18 AM   #9
75SV1

Don't forget 02-06 GC heads.Basically any 4.0L -02-06. They should/would work to. I sold one off of an engine I bought to a neighbor who worked at a dealership. They did put it on an engine. It did run, but one of the cam lobes had been wiped out. I bought thatengine minus the head. The block and other parts were used to build up an engine for my neighbors then daughter-in-law.
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:05 AM   #10
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are other sources for new heads but prices are not that much different. Most run $400-$500 delivered. When I did mine, with the exception of the radiator, I replaced my entire cooling system as well including hoses, etc., and the total cost including the brand new head was $700 and took me one weekend. That was over two years ago and the Jeep hasn't lost a drop of coolant since. Do it soon before you ruin the bearings.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 04:11 AM   #11
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I cleaned up the cooling system before I realized it was cracked hoping that would help the over heating. But I can tell now the over heating was due to the crack. I've got the old head off and I'm in search of a new head at a local jy. But in the mean time id really like to deep clean the block itself of all the oil and built up muck. I'd like to drain as much as I can and clean the left over oil and fluids left in the block. what's the best way to tackle this?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.