Cracked head? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cracked head?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
dropkicksam
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rented a pressure tester from AutoZone over the weekend (which is free, just a $70 deposit), pressurized the cooling system to about 5 PSI, and could see coolant leaking through a crack in the head. Didn't even need to take the valve cover off, you could see it right through the oil cap. FYI for anyone out there in the future, this is probably the cheapest/easiest way to see if your head is cracked. Took all of five minutes.

dropkicksam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropkicksam View Post
Rented a pressure tester from AutoZone over the weekend (which is free, just a $70 deposit), pressurized the cooling system to about 5 PSI, and could see coolant leaking through a crack in the head. Didn't even need to take the valve cover off, you could see it right through the oil cap. FYI for anyone out there in the future, this is probably the cheapest/easiest way to see if your head is cracked. Took all of five minutes.
Ya see? THIS is why I love this forum! Woulda never thought of that!

Good find!
BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
vrk123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

0331 crack

Another 2001 Cherokee head 0331 casting crack
Pulled valve cover off and saw chocolate milk above cylinder 5 & 6. Everywhere else looked clean.
Took the head off for a pressure test and magnaflux. I thought the crack should be at the 5 & 6 cylinder area since that is where the chocolate milk was, but I was told it was between 3 & 4 (most common area for crack). Does it make sense that the crack is between 3 & 4 and the milk showed up at 5 & 6???
Got a new Clearwater head, installing this week.
vrk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #19
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Personally I wouldn't buy a 500 head. What I would do is go to the bone yard pickup a used TUPY or non 0331 head take it to the machine shop and have it checked out if all good install it and be done. If you go this route ask the bone yard for some type of warranty if the head turns out bad. Most if not all bone yards do this anyways. If the machine shop checks it out and no cracks and the head is straight it shouldn't be too much money for that service. that's what I would do. As for the head swap it's not too bad best thing you could do is get a manual I recommend Chilton. Just my two cents....
hshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshark View Post
Personally I wouldn't buy a 500 head. What I would do is go to the bone yard pickup a used TUPY or non 0331 head take it to the machine shop and have it checked out if all good install it and be done. If you go this route ask the bone yard for some type of warranty if the head turns out bad. Most if not all bone yards do this anyways. If the machine shop checks it out and no cracks and the head is straight it shouldn't be too much money for that service. that's what I would do. As for the head swap it's not too bad best thing you could do is get a manual I recommend Chilton. Just my two cents....
Chilton and Haynes manuals are maybe good enough for a tune up or to start a campfire. You need a FSM to do the job correctly. You will have to have either a 0331 TUPY head or one from Clearwater because the exhaust ports will not fit up to your exhaust manifold. Ask me how I know this as I've done too many of these jobs and have two of them right now waiting on engine replacements. I did see where someone on NAJA forum was making a metal intake/exhaust gasket that you could use a older head work.My two cents is do the job right and not worry about it. Also new head bolts are a good idea. The link TJ posted will also help you out. If you do go with the Clearwater head make sure to keep the exhaust/intake dowel pins from your old head as you will need those. And during installation make sure you have the back driver side head bolt in place prior to setting the head in place because it is to long to insert after the head is set in place. tip use a strip of tape to hold that bolt up out of the way.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quick question, can my 99 have an 0331 head?
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
booman75
1979 CJ5 

You can see the number on the head.
booman75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floreancig_XJ View Post
Quick question, can my 99 have an 0331 head?
Yup. Later 99s had the 0331.

Do you have the coil over ignition system or cap + rotor?

Here's my rule of thumb that has yet to fail me;

Cap + rotor = 0630 head (on 99s)

coil over ignition system = 0331 head (on 99s.)

You should be able to see the marking of the head though. It's about half way back on the head on the driver side.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I will check the model thanks for the Info, cap and rotor thankfully!
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coolant , oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.