Could u put a 2wd trans into a 4wd? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
makavelio

Unhappy Could u put a 2wd trans into a 4wd?

I was driving and stop at stop sign and feels like the jeep is dying then park it , wait an hour to drive it again and when I put it in drive or reverse it hesitates or buckles.. Idk the correct word for it .. at idle it dies. Dad said after first gear and it cruises it's fine but when I stop or go slow it runs really rough buckles ??.. and dies .. also makes a weird noise . transmission? Does anybody know? Dad says hes 99% sure its the trans and i have a spare 2wd trans and he says put it in the 4wd jeep and it will be fine.. I dont know how accurately that is. THis might be a stupid question but is this even possible? Need to get it done before college starts..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-29-2017, 04:52 PM
cherokeerunner9

You're going to need a new driveshaft to put a 2wd tranny in and I honestly don't think it's the tranny I need more information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2017, 06:34 PM
Nick05
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeerunner9 View Post
You're going to need a new driveshaft to put a 2wd tranny in and I honestly don't think it's the tranny I need more information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second more info. How does tranny fluid look? Is it clean or dirty? Low? How is fuel pressure? Last tune up? Last time iac was cleaned? What is the gauge for the battery showing? Is check engine light coming on? If so, what are codes? If you are sure it's tranny, you will need a longer driveshaft to attach your 2wd.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-30-2017, 08:23 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

As suggested already, you need to start your diagnostics with the basics. A transmission swap is a not a simple or quick job, you need to get a solid and trustworthy diagnosis of the actual cause of the symptoms before you commit to any repairs.

The swap you are proposing is not a bolt in swap. Some of the internal parts of the 4wd transmission will need to be swapped into the 2wd transmission if you are planning on keeping the 4x4 function.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Tags
2wd , 4wd , cherokee , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.