Copy Comanche Thunderchief Grill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Copy Comanche Thunderchief Grill

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Copy Comanche Thunderchief Grill

Im looking to copy the front of the comanche thunderchiefs grill and headlights. I think they look so sporty and aggressive. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Last edited by fedx95; 12-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: added picture
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

WOW i never thought id see more pictures of the Thunderchief
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am glad you asked not because I want to know the answer but because I'd never seen nor heard of that thing until now. I wonder if the slots above the grill serve any purpose or if they're just there to "look cool" and undermine airflow.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my plan:
I could get a piece of lexan, melt it to shape, tint it, and attach it to the original headlight bezel. Then, I could cut the mini slats out of the original cherokee grill and install mesh behind it. I don't know how I could cut out the slots above the grill, but they look amazing. If I figure this out, I will install amber lights inside of them like the Ford Raptor has. The front end looks a bit like a ZJ front end.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to replicate that Comanches grill?
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Starboard M

Headlight covers look to be a very thin piece of plastic tinted with either the spray or film tinting one can buy at Vato Zone.
Why you would want to tint your headlights is beyond me, but whatever floats your boat.

The grill looks to either be one off, or they somehow got a grand grill to fit. I suppose you could lay some fiberglass over a stock grill to "attach" some slats together, and cut others out to achieve that look.

The header panel is just a stock piece they cut out and repainted. Drill, dremal or grinder and you are all set. Be careful, its 'glass.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I wish I had better glass skills. I'm going to try a zj grill after I do the headlights.
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's not exactly a ZJ grill, but one may provide with a start. ZJ grills are wider (I think) and don't have the angle in them that early XJ/MJ grills have about 3/4 down just below the headlights.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Tinting lights sounds idiotic.

That said, that thing looks madmax badass!
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , comanche , grill , headlight , headlights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.