Cooling Troubles/Heating Troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cooling Troubles/Heating Troubles

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
paulderlunas
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Cooling Troubles/Heating Troubles

Hey guys,

I have a 95 Cherokee with the 4.0L She has been running like a champ until about a week ago. I noticed that there has been a small coolant leak, which I traced to the Heater Control Valve, no biggie was probably gonna bypass this. Well my brother borrowed my jeep and said that he couldn't get any heat from it. To me, this sounds like the Heater core? Also The jeep has now be going from 210 then spiking to redline and then cooling off and coming back to the middle around 210, I checked my coolant level and the coolant was baby **** green and just mucky.

questions:

1) Does the gross mucky coolant sound like I could of blown the head gasket?

2) how much of a pain is the heater core to change? are we lucky enough just to pull the glove box or is the dash coming out

Thanks for your help guys!

paulderlunas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would do some testing first. Check your passengers side floorboard for liquid. Flush and fill the cooling system, then have it pressure tested. And a cylinder leakdown test. then you will know where you stand.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
paulderlunas
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Ok, The jeep smells alittle musty on the inside...I haven't been driving it lately. I've been taking my other car until I had more time to play with it. I'll probably change the heater core for ****s and giggles and do a flush.
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like your core or the flow to it is restriced

Flush the heater core separately. Take off the heater hoses and shove a garden hose in there, top to bottom, bottom to top until all you get is clear water, then put it all back together and flush the whole system. If your heater control valve is still there (if you haven't bypassed it yet) it could be clogged too. It's a restrictive area that can easily get clogged and/or fail. Check the vacuum line to the valve as well.

Changing out the core would certainly be more hassle than flushing and bypassing or replacing the valve it's a bee-otch of a job.
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
paulderlunas
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the good advice guys! I'm probably gonna bypass the HCV and flush the system...the jeep was running like a champ before this crap happend. Hopefully after this it should hold up for alittle bit longer...142,000 on the clock and still going! haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.