Cooling system testing?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cooling system testing??

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Cooling system testing??

OK fellas...I'm officially desperate.

Still struggling with cooling system FUBAR. When engine heats up and t-stat (new 195 stant) opens it starts blowing coolant out the overflow at idle OR at RPM's. ALL the cooling components are less than 3K miles or newer. 2 row CSF all metal radiator...1988 4.0L converted to open system...3K miles ago. I don't have a heater valve, I deleted it when I did the conversion. I know you've heard this all before, but I can't drive my truck anywhere without it getting HOT and blowing coolant. WTH??

I have tested:
◾New catalytic converter, new exhaust manifold, new gasket & flange donut.
◾compression - good (great actually) 119-124 within 5 psi across the board. No adjacent discrepancies.
◾No water in oil, no oil in water
◾NO driveability issues. Idles smooth at ~700-800
◾exhaust gases (block tester) - none - tested it 4 times, with different fluid each time
◾heater core - clear - no rust, crud, junk or small animals
◾radiator pressure - holds pressure at 20 psi overnight - good, no leaks.
◾cap - new 16 lb. - holds pressure @16 lbs for a couple of hours (the longest I've let it go)
◾all hoses - no leaks - spring in lower hose
◾coolant QUALTY...it's new, and it's fine. 50/50 Prestone Green (ethelyne glycol) and distilled water.
◾air bled from system...4 or 5 times and each time I have had to replace coolant.

How do I test for a.) a bad pump (it's not leaking, wobbling and the belt is good AND yes it's a reverse rotation with the belt routed properly) or b.) a blocked radiator before I drop the $$ on either. OR is there something else I am STILL overlooking???

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi...you're my only hope.

Unread 07-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Found a test for the WP...it's fine.
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's been my experience that coolant blowing out the cap is caused by a blown head gasket.
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
It's been my experience that coolant blowing out the cap is caused by a blown head gasket.
^^^X2. I totally agree, without actually seen the car myself. I dont know if you can test coolant for exhaust gases? Or try to smell if it smells of gas.
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeni View Post
^^^X2. I totally agree, without actually seen the car myself. I dont know if you can test coolant for exhaust gases? Or try to smell if it smells of gas.
He did that 4 times.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When it warms up and starts pushing coolant, is the lower radator hose cold?
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

No, all the hoses are hot. Now, the top rad hose is hard as a rock. The lower hose is hot, but has a spring in it, so I can't really tell if it's super hard or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
Me too. I had the same thing happen in my commuter car (a Nissan) and replacing the head gasket fixed it right away. But I needed that car to get to and from work and it cost me $1200 to get the job done...I can't afford that again so I'm being critical and don't want to do it myself if I don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
He did that 4 times.
The reason I did the exhaust gases test (block test) 4 times is because I was very surprised that #1 came up negative. I fully expected it to show a leak from a cylinder into the coolant jacket at the filler neck (test #1). So I did a control test by sucking exhaust directly from the tailpipe which DID turn yellow. Then I tested the overflow bottle where the air from the radiator was going (test #2), that was negative, and another test (#3) at the filler neck, and yet another test (#4) at the overflow. I didn't even get a whisper of exhaust gas.
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The exhaust gas test is maybe not sensitive enough, because your symptoms fits with a blown gasket. What if you remove the t-stat, will it then start blowing out water immediately?
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Drain the coolant and then do the exhaust gas test. If the head gasket is blown, it will show up immediately with no coolant in it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.