JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Cooling system testing?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cooling-system-testing-1554312/)

Paradise XJ 07-27-2013 11:59 AM

Cooling system testing??

OK fellas...I'm officially desperate.

Still struggling with cooling system FUBAR. When engine heats up and t-stat (new 195 stant) opens it starts blowing coolant out the overflow at idle OR at RPM's. ALL the cooling components are less than 3K miles or newer. 2 row CSF all metal radiator...1988 4.0L converted to open system...3K miles ago. I don't have a heater valve, I deleted it when I did the conversion. I know you've heard this all before, but I can't drive my truck anywhere without it getting HOT and blowing coolant. WTH??

I have tested:
◾New catalytic converter, new exhaust manifold, new gasket & flange donut.
◾compression - good (great actually) 119-124 within 5 psi across the board. No adjacent discrepancies.
◾No water in oil, no oil in water
◾NO driveability issues. Idles smooth at ~700-800
◾exhaust gases (block tester) - none - tested it 4 times, with different fluid each time
◾heater core - clear - no rust, crud, junk or small animals
◾radiator pressure - holds pressure at 20 psi overnight - good, no leaks.
◾cap - new 16 lb. - holds pressure @16 lbs for a couple of hours (the longest I've let it go)
◾all hoses - no leaks - spring in lower hose
◾coolant QUALTY...it's new, and it's fine. 50/50 Prestone Green (ethelyne glycol) and distilled water.
◾air bled from system...4 or 5 times and each time I have had to replace coolant.

How do I test for a.) a bad pump (it's not leaking, wobbling and the belt is good AND yes it's a reverse rotation with the belt routed properly) or b.) a blocked radiator before I drop the $$ on either. OR is there something else I am STILL overlooking???

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi...you're my only hope.

Paradise XJ 07-27-2013 06:49 PM

Found a test for the WP...it's fine.

wgirvine 07-27-2013 10:35 PM

It's been my experience that coolant blowing out the cap is caused by a blown head gasket.

mayeni 07-27-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgirvine (Post 15726509)
It's been my experience that coolant blowing out the cap is caused by a blown head gasket.

^^^X2. I totally agree, without actually seen the car myself. I dont know if you can test coolant for exhaust gases? Or try to smell if it smells of gas.

cruiser54 07-28-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayeni (Post 15726645)
^^^X2. I totally agree, without actually seen the car myself. I dont know if you can test coolant for exhaust gases? Or try to smell if it smells of gas.

He did that 4 times.

M35A2 07-28-2013 08:46 AM

When it warms up and starts pushing coolant, is the lower radator hose cold?

Paradise XJ 07-28-2013 09:57 AM

No, all the hoses are hot. Now, the top rad hose is hard as a rock. The lower hose is hot, but has a spring in it, so I can't really tell if it's super hard or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgirvine (Post 15726509)

Me too. I had the same thing happen in my commuter car (a Nissan) and replacing the head gasket fixed it right away. But I needed that car to get to and from work and it cost me $1200 to get the job done...I can't afford that again so I'm being critical and don't want to do it myself if I don't have to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiser54 (Post 15726906)
He did that 4 times.

The reason I did the exhaust gases test (block test) 4 times is because I was very surprised that #1 came up negative. I fully expected it to show a leak from a cylinder into the coolant jacket at the filler neck (test #1). So I did a control test by sucking exhaust directly from the tailpipe which DID turn yellow. Then I tested the overflow bottle where the air from the radiator was going (test #2), that was negative, and another test (#3) at the filler neck, and yet another test (#4) at the overflow. I didn't even get a whisper of exhaust gas.

mayeni 07-28-2013 02:31 PM

The exhaust gas test is maybe not sensitive enough, because your symptoms fits with a blown gasket. What if you remove the t-stat, will it then start blowing out water immediately?

M35A2 07-28-2013 10:29 PM

Drain the coolant and then do the exhaust gas test. If the head gasket is blown, it will show up immediately with no coolant in it.

The time now is 01:42 AM.