Cooling System Problems - Overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cooling System Problems - Overheating

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
95Cherokee-
2010 JK Wrangler 

Cooling System Problems - Overheating

I have a 95 Cherokee Sport 4.0 . This is the first vehicle I've ever decided to work on. And am relatively new at it. I've only had the vehicle 4 months. Anyways, I'm really desperate right now. I had replaced the rad and water pump. Everything was fine. Now it overheats in five minutes. The vent doesn't blow hot air even when the engine's overheating and the upper rad hose is cold. I replaced the thermostat, but no change. There is plenty of coolant in the reservoir. Any advice / info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

95Cherokee- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
cmotsvt

Burp the system of air. ASAP before you drive it and overheat any more.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
95Cherokee-
2010 JK Wrangler 

The thing is. I drove it about 5 times for a total of about 60 miles. Then on the 6th time about 15 minutes in it suddenly started blowing cold air and overheated. Could air be in the system that long then suddenly effect it?
95Cherokee- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
kevinmcf

I just did my thermostat over the weekend, having done thermostats on hundreds if not a thousand cars, I find that jeeps more then any other vehical have more trouble getting that last gasp of air out.
What I do to be sure air is out leave rad cap loose one click and start jeep, stay on passenger side with antifreeze at the ready grab the upper hoseand wait for it to get warm then remove cap and add.
2 CAUTIONS TO BE CAREFUL OF ANTIFREEZE IS OIL AND DOES BURN BADLY SO BE CAREFUL 1- if upper hose has preasure (test by squeezing) antifreeze will boil over radiator when removing cap. 2- I said stand on passenger side not to check hose but incase the radiator cap is not on tight enough (1st lock) it could blow off.
If at any time you feel the motors to hot to remove cap shut off and let stand to cool before trying again.
kevinmcf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
JVracer04

i converted to a open cooling system not too long ago.. had a overheating problem like explained

turns out that the coolant bootle on the closed sytle cooling system was like a big air bubble and not letting the coolant flow correctly

i fixed the problem by buying a newer heater control valve

since then i dont even think ive gone past 205*F

if burping the system doesnt work, might wanna try the heater control valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.