cooling problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cooling problem

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiHappy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 Center

Unread 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
theyammieguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thermostat could be worn out and not opening properly.

1996 XJ. RC 3" lift on 30's. That's about it.
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyammieguy View Post
Thermostat could be worn out and not opening properly.
I was kinda thinking that too, happened to me on a NEW thermostat. That or your rad might be clogged, restricting the flow.

As you can see overheating problems can be very frustrating... often a hit and miss. You can't tell until you change the parts. And nowadays even new parts can't always be trusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Flush cooling system lately? Did the water pump I see but how long ago? Was the system filled wirh the correct mix and properly bled?
...you didn't answer this. Are you running 50/50?
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
yeti92
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's not pre diluted butt I did mix with water and the little test tube said its good and the thermostat is new but could be bad I guess but wouldn't that make it run hot all the time not just town and sitting or wheeling and as far as a clogged radiator it seems to drain properly when it was drianded and filled but is there a way to test the radiator to fond out
yeti92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti92 View Post
It's not pre diluted butt I did mix with water and the little test tube said its good and the thermostat is new but could be bad I guess but wouldn't that make it run hot all the time not just town and sitting or wheeling and as far as a clogged radiator it seems to drain properly when it was drianded and filled but is there a way to test the radiator to fond out
I'd say it's probably one of those two. Sounds like something is creating an obstruction, could very well be debris caught in the stat or a defective stat. You did say the defroster helps cool it down. That may not be attributed to the e-fan alone. I believe part of the coolant is routed through the heater core when you do that. Coolant that goes through the core doesn't go through the stat. That would make it more of a suspect... I don't see many others. Worth a try. You still have your fan shroud right?
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coolant , cooling , issue , over heating , temp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.