coolant temperature sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > coolant temperature sensor

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
93_zj

coolant temperature sensor

do all years of the xj with the 4.0 liter have a coolant temperature sensor in the thermostat housing? I noticed that there are two wires clipped up by the firewall.

93_zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
anony91xj

I believe all the ones after 90 or 91 did, some before did not...I'm not sure if the difference was EFI or something else.

This is not the temperature sender for the guage though.
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
93_zj

and the wires that are coming off from the fuel injector harness?
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
88XJ Ltd

According to the Chilton manual, only XJ's with Chrysler's MPI (model years 91-96) have the CTS mounted in the T-stat housing. The pre 91 models had the Renix MPI, which mounted the CTS on the left side of the cylinder head just below the exhaust manifold.
88XJ Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XJ Ltd
According to the Chilton manual, only XJ's with Chrysler's MPI (model years 91-96) have the CTS mounted in the T-stat housing. The pre 91 models had the Renix MPI, which mounted the CTS on the left side of the cylinder head just below the exhaust manifold.

Score another one for Chilton My 99 sport has the sensor in the thermostat housing Also there's no sending unit for the temp guage on the rear of the head

JoBo
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
93_zj

so the cut wires towards the back of the engine coming off from the fuel injector harness are for what?
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:57 AM   #7
RickyN29

So wait, on my 90, what is the sensor with two wires coming off that screws into the radiator? It was my understanding that this was the coolant temp sensor (also controls the aux fan)

Reason I ask is my aux fan does not seem to come on when the jeep gets hot. it turns on fine with the AC, everything checks out fine at the relay, and I also have it wired to an override switch which engages the relay just fine.
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
88xjwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyN29
So wait, on my 90, what is the sensor with two wires coming off that screws into the radiator? It was my understanding that this was the coolant temp sensor (also controls the aux fan)

Reason I ask is my aux fan does not seem to come on when the jeep gets hot. it turns on fine with the AC, everything checks out fine at the relay, and I also have it wired to an override switch which engages the relay just fine.
YUP! The Thermo switch (which is located ON THE RADIATOR) on pre '91 XJ. That is the switch that controls the ELECTRIC FAN. But, I did this: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke.../radiator.html.

So when I replaced the radiator, it didnt' have a place for the thermo switch, so I purchased an Adjustable Thermostat from Kragens. It's just as good as the stock Thermo switch, but i can adjust it to work the fan at what ever temperature I choose.

Oh by the way, I this also allowed me to add a manuel Electric fan switch (to throw on when ever I want the fan to work without waiting for the thermo switch).

Mods coming:
RE6130 4.5" SuperFlex Lift & 33x12.50 on Black Rock Crawlers
88xjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.