Coolant smell and leaking around head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Coolant smell and leaking around head

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Coolant smell and leaking around head

I have been smelling coolant in my cab and noticed it's dissapearing over a weeks time out of the reservoir bottle. I drive about 25-100 miles a week, in town some hwy. There appears to be a slight leak around the head gasket. I have taken it to two differant shops including the one I work at. The guy here at work says I need to invest in a new cyl head. The other shop I took it to, the mechanic said it's more possible the freeze plug is leaking. I would hate to invest $700 in a cylinder I do not need. I also noticed since I have had the Cherokee (1998 XJ) on acceleration then letting go of the throttle, I hear a tappet noise, not very loud, but rev up the engine a bit and let go, you will hear it. I have put about 6500 miles on it so far, it still runs a bit rough in the morning then smoothes out a little. Still seems to idle a bit rough to me,though. Any help on this is appreciated!

Last edited by 56Mercgal; 08-01-2013 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: more words
56Mercgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it's leaking around the head, you probably need a head gasket. The rough idling can be caused by this. However, when the head is off take it to a machine shop and let them check it out....nothing wrong with that is there? If you work in a shop, send it out through the shop, it will cost you less, and takes about 2 hours to do with 2 people. I've done them exactly like that .....even used the lift to pull the head...and seat it. I'm old...what can I say..
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 head , cherokee misfire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.