Coolant smell and leaking around head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Coolant smell and leaking around head

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Coolant smell and leaking around head

I have been smelling coolant in my cab and noticed it's dissapearing over a weeks time out of the reservoir bottle. I drive about 25-100 miles a week, in town some hwy. There appears to be a slight leak around the head gasket. I have taken it to two differant shops including the one I work at. The guy here at work says I need to invest in a new cyl head. The other shop I took it to, the mechanic said it's more possible the freeze plug is leaking. I would hate to invest $700 in a cylinder I do not need. I also noticed since I have had the Cherokee (1998 XJ) on acceleration then letting go of the throttle, I hear a tappet noise, not very loud, but rev up the engine a bit and let go, you will hear it. I have put about 6500 miles on it so far, it still runs a bit rough in the morning then smoothes out a little. Still seems to idle a bit rough to me,though. Any help on this is appreciated!

Last edited by 56Mercgal; 08-01-2013 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: more words
56Mercgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it's leaking around the head, you probably need a head gasket. The rough idling can be caused by this. However, when the head is off take it to a machine shop and let them check it out....nothing wrong with that is there? If you work in a shop, send it out through the shop, it will cost you less, and takes about 2 hours to do with 2 people. I've done them exactly like that .....even used the lift to pull the head...and seat it. I'm old...what can I say..
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.