Coolant pouring out of my overflow tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Coolant pouring out of my overflow tank

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
jwiowa

Coolant pouring out of my overflow tank

I just replaced my radiator, waterpump, thermostate couple of hoses due to my fan coming loose and destroying my rad.; and changed the other stuff just because I was working on it and they were cheap. Now I dont have any heat coming out unless I am at 3k rpm and when it is running coolant is coming out of the overflow tank. and when I shut it off more pours out. I have bled the thing about 20 times. I have a "t" installed in my heater inlet hose. I cannnot figure out why or how this is happening. Doesnt overheat. Any ideas??

jwiowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiowa View Post
I just replaced my radiator, water pump, thermostat couple of hoses due to my fan coming loose and destroying my rad.; and changed the other stuff just because I was working on it and they were cheap. Now I don't have any heat coming out unless I am at 3k rpm and when it is running coolant is coming out of the overflow tank. and when I shut it off more pours out. I have bled the thing about 20 times. I have a "t" installed in my heater inlet hose. I can not figure out why or how this is happening. Doesn't overheat. Any ideas??
I would re-check the t-stat to make sure its in the correct way. Try running it with it out too.
The "t" in the heater redirects fluid to bypass the heater and should not be the problem.

You did replace the belt correctly
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
jwiowa

The thermostat will only go in one way or you cant bolt the housing on. The belt is installed right(after i found the right routing that had my idler below the PS pump and not under the alt) The "t" I was talking about is a insert to burp the system like what you get in a flush fill kit just a custom one that will last longer than 2 days and seals with a gasket(like on a garden hose) If the t stat is not working will this cause this?? Tstat is a 5 min fix in front of the parts store if necessary?
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiowa View Post
The thermostat will only go in one way or you cant bolt the housing on. The belt is installed right(after i found the right routing that had my idler below the PS pump and not under the alt) The "t" I was talking about is a insert to burp the system like what you get in a flush fill kit just a custom one that will last longer than 2 days and seals with a gasket(like on a garden hose) If the t stat is not working will this cause this?? Tstat is a 5 min fix in front of the parts store if necessary?
If that is the case then your water pump is not pumping. The heater hose comes directly from the water pump and if you have no fluid pumping.

Diagram not specific
cooling-system.gif  
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
jwiowa

The heater hose going into the wp is th ereturn line not the inlet(does that matter) and its a brand new wp(should be pumping. ANy way to check that out?
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A quick test to determine if the pump is working is to check if the heater warms properly. A defective water pump will not be able to circulate heated coolant through the long heater hose to the heater core.

Are you sure that you have the right pump? If I remember right, the 4.0 is equipped with a reverse rotating water pump. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. Reverse rotation pumps should have the letter "R" somewhere on the pump body.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
jwiowa

I am pretty sure I have the right pump it matches the old on e exactly. The heater works when I get the rpms up to about 3K.
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try this: remove the hose that goes to the top of the radiator (from the engine), insert a garden hose to the radiator cap (set the flow low enough to insure not to over heat), and then start the engine.

You should be able to see (if you don't have too much water pressure from the garden hose) the water pump moving fluid (increased fluid when you rev the engine).

If not flow increase while rev'ing the engine = water pump is bad.

Second idea. Have you checked to make sure that the fan is pulling enough air to cool the radiator.

And re-check the rotational direction on the pump.
87-90xj_beltrouting_sm.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.