Coolant leak - can't locate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Coolant leak - can't locate

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
jdnance

Coolant leak - can't locate

Hey guys,
So I noticed my amps running low and smelled coolant when I got out of the heep tonight - popped the hood and sure enough there's coolant sprayed all up on the underside of the hood and all over the components on the front of the engine. I started it up, examined with a flashlight - but no signs of leakage. Is there a common failure point on these that would facilitate it getting into the fans?

Items I'm sure it's not: Thermostat/Housing and Radiator (Rad is new and Thermostat is easy to see). I'm also fairly certain it's not the head gasket as this is a '98 Limited that has never overheated (or atleast in the last 20k miles that I've owned it anyway).

It's cold, dark, and raining tonight - but tomorrow morning it's got to get me to work - so I thought I'd post and get some ideas before morning.

jdnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
DeepDirtJeep
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Water pump weep hole?
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
polizi212

look very carefully around the thermostat housing. That is where mine was and it took me a while to actually find it due to where it was.
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
adambelievexj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

x2

for the water pump, also maybe a hole in your upper radiator hose.
adambelievexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
DeepDirtJeep
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Also, you said the rad is new, but after dealing with a coolant leak for some months now a rollover jolt finally revealed my leak source to be the joint between the tank and core, upper pass side. Just sayin you might wanna check it esp it you bought a cheapy (or if you accidentally bought a cheapy like me. Stupid NAPA sent me the wrong one and I couldn't wait for the right one to come)
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
DeepDirtJeep
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Another idea due to the low amp part: i was reading on Omix-Ada's website about electrolysis which is when your electrical system grounds itself thru the coolant and causes coolant to boil out thru the fins. You might want to try taking the grill off to get a good look at the rad fins and check for that

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.