Coolant engine drain plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Coolant engine drain plug

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Hamid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Coolant engine drain plug

On 2000 XJ I-6, 4.0L
Anyone tried to loosen the coolant system engine block drain plug on the driver side of the engine, exactly below the intake manifold.

it is a pain, looks like it can be reached with an extension, the plug is a square fit, don't know if there is a tool fits there and what size, I appreciate you all help.

Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

There's no reason too, unless your boiling the block.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
On 2000 XJ I-6, 4.0L
Anyone tried to loosen the coolant system engine block drain plug on the driver side of the engine, exactly below the intake manifold.

it is a pain, looks like it can be reached with an extension, the plug is a square fit, don't know if there is a tool fits there and what size, I appreciate you all help.
Most square holes in drain plugs are the size of 3/8" extension ends or the 3/8" ratchet. The plugs are pipe threads (tapered), so clean them up good on a wire wheel/brush and wrap a couple windings of Teflon tape on the threads and don't over tighten.
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x
There's no reason too, unless your boiling the block.
Because completely draining the cooling system that way is somehow a bad idea? It's fast, effective, and easy. I prefer using the block drain plug when doing a full flush

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
Because completely draining the cooling system that way is somehow a bad idea? It's fast, effective, and easy. I prefer using the block drain plug when doing a full flush
No, it's a great idea. The op is complaining that he can't get the plug out.
Just use the radiator hose connections and save yourself a lot of trouble.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
Hamid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Really some of you didn't realize what I meant.

I need to remove the plug to drain the cooling sys as mentioned in the scheduled maintenance in the owners manual, that's all.

Anyone did removed that plug in order to flush the cooling sys?.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebur View Post
Most square holes in drain plugs are the size of 3/8" extension ends or the 3/8" ratchet. The plugs are pipe threads (tapered), so clean them up good on a wire wheel/brush and wrap a couple windings of Teflon tape on the threads and don't over tighten.
Actually the ones I've removed have been 5/16" square drive. Ain't that special?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
On 2000 XJ I-6, 4.0L

The early plugs are an 8m/m square drive, which is also just about the same as 5/16". A tool may be readily made from a 5/16" or 8m/m hex key, using only a grinder, and done in about five minutes. (Had to do this for my BA-10/5 transmissions. It's easy.)

Later plugs may take a 3/8" square drive, simplifying the process.

I am unsure if they used a standard tapered pipe thread for this - if they did, it's probably 3/8"NPT or 1/2"NPT, and a replacement plug may be gotten at any hardware store. I'd recommend brass for a replacement - it won't seize.

I'm considering putting a small, cable-operated valve in that port when I overhaul my engine, to simplify thorough drainage of the coolant. Pulling the lower hose doesn't get all of it, you'll have some crud left. Even pulling the plug doesn't get all of it, but it will get a lot more.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.