JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Coolant Constantly Overflowing (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/coolant-constantly-overflowing-1386415/)

aldersonfilm 06-27-2012 04:35 PM

Coolant Constantly Overflowing

So I got myself a 1990 XJ recently and have since replaced the expansion tank with a new one and replaced the thermostat as the previous owner took it out for some unknown reason.

Now, however, every time I shutoff the engine after driving, within a few seconds the cap on the expansion tank pops up and hot coolant comes gushing out. The cap is already really finicky, despite it being brand new and does not feel very secure when tightened. Not sure what the deal is but I have had to put new coolant in the jeep about 5 times now. Any good ideas?

AZ Jeff 06-27-2012 04:41 PM

Replace the tank AND the cap with a new one.

Or better yet, convert to an "open" cooling system.

cruiser54 06-27-2012 05:00 PM

You could try this. Replace the cap with one from Napa. Part number 703-1396.

djb383 06-27-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldersonfilm (Post 13785713)
........ and replaced the thermostat as the previous owner took it out for some unknown reason.........

The main reason people remove a t-stat is they think it will solve a overheating issue. If removing the stat doesn't correct an overheat, then the problem lies elsewhere. If a new bottle/cap r pukeing, it may be actually over heating. Have u verified temp?

aldersonfilm 06-28-2012 01:22 PM

I've been going off the gauge on the dash which appears to be functioning normally. It hasn't passed 210 at all. The strange part is that it ONLY happens a couple seconds after shutting off the engine. I can hear pressure building and then the cap pops off and pukes coolant. It might be possible that I'm overfilling it, though I always fill it up to just above the notch in the post inside the coolant tank. Is it normal for the cap on the expansion tank to be so finicky?? I have to screw it down and then press down for a short turn. If I turn it at all too far it just pops back up and even when it feels like it's on there, if you wiggle it even a little, it'll come loose. But the old tank and cap did the same thing...

djb383 06-28-2012 03:47 PM

Sounds like the cap and bottle r still faulty.....it's got to hold pressure, otherwise, the coolant will boil at about 212. If coolant boils, it will no longer absorb heat. It's the pressure, for the most part, that keeps coolant from boiling.

Motorcharge 06-28-2012 04:03 PM

Are you burping the air out of the system after you add coolant?

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...BurpAirMod.htm

overlandchris 06-28-2012 04:22 PM

Have you tried checking to see I'd the hole in the side if the rad filler that goes to the expansion tank is blocked or if the hose is blocked? I have had this happen to me a and it caused coolant to pop the cap in my wj not to as extreme as your situation but similar.

keepishop 06-28-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlandchris (Post 13791016)
Have you tried checking to see I'd the hole in the side if the rad filler that goes to the expansion tank is blocked or if the hose is blocked? I have had this happen to me a and it caused coolant to pop the cap in my wj not to as extreme as your situation but similar.

Totally different parts and mechanisms are in use pre 91.

OP, either switch to a higher quality bottle or convert to an open system. I redid mine as an open system and it's been pain-free for a year now.

cruiser54 06-28-2012 06:57 PM

Or simply go to Napa and get a 703-1396 cap for your bottle.

austin6137 06-28-2012 07:12 PM

I have this exact problem, if I fill the bottle to the mark. When i drive the jeep it never overheats, but the moment i park it it pukes out whats in the tank. Now if i leave it low and don't refill the tank its fine, there's still coolant in the system. With it low it mine doesn't overheat, puke coolant its been absolutely fine for two years. I'm not saying you should do it but it's been working fine for me, I never usually let fluids low but it works. I've tried burping it there's no air in it.

Motorcharge 06-28-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin6137 (Post 13791762)
I have this exact problem, if I fill the bottle to the mark. When i drive the jeep it never overheats, but the moment i park it it pukes out whats in the tank. Now if i leave it low and don't refill the tank its fine, there's still coolant in the system. With it low it mine doesn't overheat, puke coolant its been absolutely fine for two years. I'm not saying you should do it but it's been working fine for me, I never usually let fluids low but it works. I've tried burping it there's no air in it.

Same question to you as the OP, have you burped any air out of the cooling system? Link further up for how to.

cruiser54 06-28-2012 08:27 PM

Burp the air and use the Napa cap.

Paradise XJ 06-28-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiser54 (Post 13785821)
You could try this. Replace the cap with one from Napa. Part number 703-1396.

:agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiser54 (Post 13791704)
Or simply go to Napa and get a 703-1396 cap for your bottle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiser54 (Post 13792173)
Burp the air and use the Napa cap.

From what I can tell at least 33.3% of the respondants here agree.

The pressure bottles are crap (unless you have a metal one), the caps are even worse. Having a proper cap and bottle are crucial with a RENIX XJ.

Both my Jeeps are converted to open. It's not a cure all but it sure does cure the stupid bottle & cap. The new cap is certainly a good start, but I'll give it a year til it craps out again.

austin6137 06-28-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcharge (Post 13791884)
Same question to you as the OP, have you burped any air out of the cooling system? Link further up for how to.

Yes as I stated its air free, I'll try the cap. At the moment im not to concerned it doesn't over heat even with the ac on so im not worried.

The time now is 07:13 PM.