converting r12 to 134a - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > converting r12 to 134a

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
rmousir

converting r12 to 134a

Hey all, Just charged my wife's 94 jeep cherokee with 134a. Works great and was so easy.

Bought the fittings kit and two extra bottles of the 134a. Want to convert my 91 jeep.

I understand that I have to let out any r12 that may be in there.

How do I do that with out taking it to a pro?

Has anyone done this before?

Does it work well?

What steps need to be taken?

I figure I will remove the r12 if there is any left. Then fill with the 134.

Would love to hear from anyone who has any experiance with this before I do this.

If it won't work I would rather just return the two cans of 134a.

Thanks.

Richard

1994 Jeep Cherokee Country
4.0 H.O. Auto 2 wd
[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
rmousir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
severous01

YOU cant. it's illegal and you could be fined by the EPA if you do...however, there's an easy way to let it all out. once you have the adapters on, just hook up a hose with no can on and turn the piercing pin.

you'll still need to take it to a pro though...they have special oil that goes in to make sure the new stuff is compatible. and you'll need to replace some seals. other than that...it's easy

remove the two (high and low) sides of the compressor, fill with the special oil. connecto new pieces on the ends (after you put them back on), replace the seals on the high side and low side of the compressor. vac the system with a special vacuum and make sure it holds...fill with the new stuff.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
commandtoad
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i just charged my buddies 89xj about 4 weeks ago with 134. it still had r-12 in it. just threw it on top. got the air down to 35 deg in the vent.
i know, you can't do this, but the jeep did'nt seem to care.
commandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
windexdjd

I talked to a mechanic once, maybe he is out of his mind... But he had a specialization in AC. He said I could just put in the 134a in on top of the R12. What he said was, the 134a gas won't carry the R12 oil. So what happens is the oil from the r12 sits around in the compressor oiling it. What he also said I needed to do was buy R134a charges with the ester oil in the can... Or buy a seperate ester oil charge. This is what I did and it's worked for months, even through summer in florida, where I am and it's still kickin like brand new. No seals, no draining, none of that.

Good luck.
-DJ
windexdjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
severous01

yeah...the special oil stuff. it makes 134 work with 12. if you dont use it you'll fry your compressor.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.