Converting to e85 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Converting to e85

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
purplexj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Converting to e85

I was just curious if anyone knows or has done this to their 4.0 I6. The reason i was wondering is because e85 around me is usually a dollar or more cheaper than gasoline.

purplexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexj
I was just curious if anyone knows or has done this to their 4.0 I6. The reason i was wondering is because e85 around me is usually a dollar or more cheaper than gasoline.
If you could get the pump you need, Change the fuel lines, Change the injectors, Change the ECU. You get about 30 percent less miles per gallon.
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You'd also need to change any cork gaskets to rubber. I believe the current expected loss of mileage is 5-15%, but that's in regards to a flex vehicle and not a 50-year-old engine design. Unless you can teach the computer everything it needs to know for running E85, you can't do it, sorry.

I believe you'd honestly have an easier time finding a diesel engine for your XJ so that you could convert to biodiesel. Converting a diesel to biodiesel is relatively easy.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
purplexj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for your answers ill just keep the 4.0 in until it dies. If it dies.
purplexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Aaaaactually E85 is the same price if not MORE than regular NON ethanol gas. You will probably travel LESS distance on E85 then the same cost of regular gas.

Less energy in E85. More fuel is dumped into the engine.

Figure 20MPG on straight gasoline..

Figure 15MPG E85. Prolly less in the I6.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman_1 View Post
Aaaaactually E85 is the same price if not MORE than regular NON ethanol gas. You will probably travel LESS distance on E85 then the same cost of regular gas.

Less energy in E85. More fuel is dumped into the engine.

Figure 20MPG on straight gasoline..

Figure 15MPG E85. Prolly less in the I6.
This! Very correct!

Now, even if the mileage was the same - would you really save any money? You're going to have to change the ENTIRE fuel system. New fuel pump, new fuel lines (ethanol cleans EVERYTHING OUT), rebuild the fuel rail with new E-85 injectors and all new seals.

Once you get that far, there's also the computer problem. The computer doesn't have the ability to compensate for the E85.

On cars that are "flex fuel" and designed for E85, they're able to pull the spark timing like crazy to stop it from pinging. Even with the upgraded fuel system, you're going to be pinging and knocking like crazy. I'm sure you can play with the timing on the distributor ... but it's still not going to run right ... ever.

I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but a while back, Ford did a test of e85 vehicles in cold weather. They couldn't get the vehicles to reliably start below 0F on the gasahol.
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexj View Post
ill just keep the 4.0 in until it dies. If it dies.
"Old Jeeps never die, they just rust away."

A little twist on MacArthur's famous quite. It applies to the 4.0Ls quite well. At least around here most of the ones I seen in junk yards either have rust holes in the frame big enough to put your hand through or have been wrecked/rolled, but still run just fine.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89

"Old Jeeps never die, they just rust away."

A little twist on MacArthur's famous quite. It applies to the 4.0Ls quite well. At least around here most of the ones I seen in junk yards either have rust holes in the frame big enough to put your hand through or have been wrecked/rolled, but still run just fine.
+1 almost every jeep in my local jy says "runs and drives"
Unread 11-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
94jettameowpsst

For the love of everything holy don't run e85 in your jeep. There's no increase in power output unless you plan on forced induction and the gas mileage is a lot worse than the figures listed. My old talon I converted to e85 and at 600hp at 90% duty cycle on 2600cc injectors and 2 fuel pumps I was averaging 95 miles per tank and that was with spirited driving.

Now w a jeep I can't see it that extreme but you will not see any gain from running 85, at all
94jettameowpsst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I tried 30/70 e85/ 95e10 (that's max. 10% ethanol on the 95 octane gas) mix on my 5.9 ZJ for about 10 full tanks. I saw about a 1-2MPG worse mileage mixed city and highway driving, no other ill- effects. e85 over this side of the ocean is roughly 1€ per litre (that's ~5.2$/ gallon, 95E10 gasoline is ~8$/ gallon), so I did save about 20€ per full tank of gas. Not a whole lot, but with the gas prices over here it adds up to big savings over the year. I stopped using the mix for the winter, may do that again when sprign comes.

Then again, XJ 6- cylinder is completely different engine and as far as I know, it really isn't recommended to use e85 at all, not even when mixing with normal gasoline. ZJ V8 engines I've seen reports and people have been using 'em with up to even 50% e85, but at that high ratios you will see a drop in mileage, reduced power and hard start-ups on cold weather. Over longer period of time I don't know if the the ZJ gasoline system (O- rings and stuff like that) components are ethanol- resistant enough to be ok for 30-50% on the fuel system. Jeep told Finnish authorities all their vehicles '87 and up are ok to run up to 10-20% ethanol-gasoline mix.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
94jettameowpsst

Ah see I was comparing it to a 100% e85 car.
You have to replace all the stock fuel lines with braided or plastic lines bc it will dryrot the rubber

Props for the better mileage
94jettameowpsst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.