Control Arm Ends - Rubber or Flex? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Control Arm Ends - Rubber or Flex?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Control Arm Ends - Rubber or Flex?

I'm looking at replacing my stock control arms with adjustable arms. I need opinions on which is better way to go. Flex end/Johnnie Joint or the rubber bushing ends? I assume the Flex ends are called that because they flex better, but do they have drawbacks other than slightly higher cost? Do rubber ends ride better/less noise?
Thanks!

Unread 03-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Flex joint in one end, rubber bushing on the other. The increase in NVH is minimal compared to having rubber bushings at both ends. No real drawbacks with the flex joints.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

What is NVH?
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RustyXJ View Post
What is NVH?
Noise, Vibration and Harshness.

I've run JJs (real ones not any of the imitations) on both ends of control arms and been happy. Lots of good things in JK and TJ world being said about the new Metalcloak joints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.