Is the consesnsus it's the clockspring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Is the consesnsus it's the clockspring?

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
mcibmw533
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is the consesnsus it's the clockspring?

My horn has been sounding pretty pathetic for a little while (only the low note, not the high not), I just figured it was bad contacts but haven't had any improvement after cleaning them. Now my cruise won't turn on (the light or the actual operation). My airbag lite isn't on yet though. The fuses appear to be good, I have vacuum and the connections at the unit under the hood appear to be good.

I really don't want to spend the money on the clockspring but it sounds like that is probably the culprit.

Are my suspicions correct?

Thanks,

Micah
1999 Jeep XJ 178,000 mi

mcibmw533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The clockspring won't affect only one of two horns, so look for a bad horn or a bad connection to one of the horns.

I'd guess that the problem with your cruise control is probably the clockspring though, especially if it got intermittent before going out altogether. Try repositioning your steering column up or down and see if you can get it to come on again. On my XJ, the wiring to the clockspring was too short from the factory, causing the connector to pull out of the clockspring. I tried epoxy and finally just lengthened the wires a couple inches. I'd at least recommend pulling the steering column covers off and making certain the connector is fully seated. Also, cleaning the clockpring contacts with silicon lubricant or even WD40 might help.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
mcibmw533
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I'll check out the connection below the column covers and try lubing up the clockspring connection. The cruise worked fine, without any problems and then one day no cruise. That's why I thought it might be the fuse, but all fuses are good. I don't use it all that often, but I'd like to sell my XJ and want to eliminate any fix-it issues for the next owner.
mcibmw533 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.