Confused as to what to do! YIKES! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Confused as to what to do! YIKES!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Confused as to what to do! YIKES!

OK, here are the symptoms I have been experiencing lately on my 98' Cherokee 4.0. 1. It has always run kinda rough at a stop, smooths out on acceleration for the most part. There are times it will buck and hesitate on accel from a stop. 2. I am loosing coolant like every day, somewhere! The reservoir bottle is empty at the end of the day of driving it 100-150 miles each day (a friend for mine is having to drive it for work, we have no choice! His Liberty is out of commission right now!) 3. The temp gauge will go up to 210, electric fan comes on and it will usually stay around 195/215. When the coolant is low, VERY low, it jumped all the way to 260! Check gauges light came on, didn't run weird or anything. After a couple of miles, the temp went back to 210. It has done this thing twice, and there is no coolant in the reservoir when I checked it. 4. I have had a check engine light come several times, and I have a cylinder #1 misfire code and a cylinder #3 misfire code. I work at an auto repair shop, my boss/friend has given several different answers from just go buy a new engine, to putting a new head on, to it needs a timing chain, AGH! I have access to a very well taken care of 98' 4.0 out of a CJ, 60,000 miles on it for $1500. Any help here would be great, ready to go nuts! Thanks!!!

Last edited by 56Mercgal; 08-18-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: needed more explanations
56Mercgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would say that your boss/friend may be trying to helpful, but has little, to no knowledge of Jeeps. One does not throw random parts at an undiagnosed problem hoping to accidentally fix the problem.

Find and fix your coolant leak. The leak could internal, or external.

Bucking and hesitation often make one suspect the O2 Sensors or the Throttle Position Sensor. What are your gas mpg's ? Testing all the sensors is not difficult.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

My MPG is pretty good, 24-26 highway and 14-16 in town. I put in new Bosch 4-hole injectors in three months ago and they really helped. Idle did improve a bit, but I think I have a more serious issue! You can sometimes smell burnt coolant inside the cab. I will test the sensors, but really need to find where is the coolant going. The oil looks ok, not milky or bubbly. Wondering if my temp sensor is faulty with the fluctuating temp, sure went up to 260 fast! I yi yi!
56Mercgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check the passenger floor for wetness, could be a leaky heater core.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
nkxj99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you blowin white smoke out the exhaust? If so coolant is getting into the cylinder and burning...
nkxj99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.