:confused: 89 XJ overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > :confused: 89 XJ overheating

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
lcplsmash
1989 XJ Cherokee 

:confused: 89 XJ overheating

I put a rebuilt 4.0 Renix engine in my XJ back in June. I replaced the water pump, radiator, t-stat, all the hoses, electic fan, fan clutch and expansion tank. It overheated to about 235-240 shortly after. I hooked up the electric fan to a switch and flushed and vacuum filled the system. I still have problems with it getting hot going up hill, while towing and long drives. It will stay about 220 or so when I turn the fan on. Going down hill and on the gas lightly it drops to 140-160. I will overheat sometimes while sitting at a light. Not sure what could cause this. Not sure if I blew the head gasket or not. Any thoughts on this matter would be helpful thanks.

lcplsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, a 100* swing???? Have u verified temps with a IR temp gun pointed at the stat cover? R all of the replacement parts new or used?
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
lcplsmash
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Everything is new When I get the chance I'm gonna verify with a different temp gauge. I know the one in the dash is true but I will double check anyway. I'm just at a loss as what to do. I'm leaning toward maybe when I overheated I got a small leak in the head gasket. Unfortunately I have no way to check it at home.
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Factory dash gauges r notoriously inaccurate. Check electrical connections on both the gauge and sending unit.
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
lcplsmash
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I know that. I have already checked all that and all the sensors have been replaced. I have a dash mount gauge that I'm gonna hook up when I get the chance. do you know a good way to check for a blown head gasket?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.