Common Prob? Gas tank leak??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Common Prob? Gas tank leak???

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
namtrah

2004 WJ 

Common Prob? Gas tank leak???

I finished fixing up my floor and there was drilling involved. I thought I punctured the tank, but I lowered it down and could not find any damage from a drill. I get a terrible fuel smell as i drive down the road with the windows open. I filled up the tank and tried to top off and it started dripping gas on the ground. I am thinking a seam or something is leaking. Is this common? My friend has a 1989 and had to replace the tank because it leaks. Just a fluke or something more to it???

Unread 08-24-2004, 09:13 PM   #2
DMacabre
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, if you think you have a tank leak but can't find one, suspect a hole underneath the straps.
DMacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
RickyN29

And if you were just drilling in the area, and now all of a sudden have a gas leak, putting two and two together would make me think you drilled a hole, and not that it i a common gas leak problem.,,
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 05:41 AM   #4
russkrs

Yeah it is fairly common for the gasket at the top of the tank to leak. Fill it up to the max again, then look where it is leaking from, if it rolls down the front of the tank in the middle it is likely the gasket, barring any new holes you may have created, but I would figure if you can't see any, you probably didn't make any.
russkrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
namtrah

2004 WJ 

What did I write

It sure would be nice if everyone read the post first, then answered? I lowered the tank already and checked for DRILL HOLES and any other damage, so I thought I eliminated that in the first post? Anyway, I offroad it rally car style down a firetrail by my house, I bet maybe that the gasket is leaking, that is right where it seems to be coming from. I am thinking of a new tank, but it sure is cheaper to fix the old one with that gas tank repair putty crap, or maybe a new gasket. Thanks for the help
Unread 08-25-2004, 02:07 PM   #6
DMacabre
1998 XJ Cherokee 

maybe you put a hole in the filler tube? or the vapor line.
DMacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
XJeepness

I know when when i was working on my rig a little while ago. I slipped and smacked the tank hard with a ratchet. Gas started leaking out quickly. Iam thinking that stock tanks are week when they age
Unread 08-25-2004, 10:52 PM   #8
namtrah

2004 WJ 

I think so

I asked this question to see if it was common, sounds like the gasket leak is common. The leak seams to be originating from the central area and leaks to the rear, which is wierd, the back of the jeep is up 2" higher than the front thanks to the AAL? I was looking for a replacement tank. Quadratec has a stock replacement for $110 and $19 for a replacement filler tube/vent tube. I may go that route. I topped it off again tonight...no gas leak, just a terrible, unbearable fuel smell drifting into the cab. You can smell gas wen you are near the rear corner of the Jeep. I wonder if the new tank would have the gasket or gaskets for all teh hoses and fuel pump included, or if they would have to be purchased seperately. I start commuting 52 one way 4 times a week next Monday, so I better find a fix soon!
Unread 08-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #9
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

It won't have the fuel pump, it will probably only have the metal tank. You would have to reuse all the hoses or buy new ones. I would look around first though, I gota tank with a brand new Bosch fuel pump installed in it for $50 on another board.
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.