coming down to the wire.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > coming down to the wire....

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

coming down to the wire....

Lift starts Thursday, and by Saturday afternoon I have to pick a tire. I think I am going to 31's to minimize the power loss with stock gears, and to minimize cost. I just need some insight into what to buy. Money isn't the problem with 31's, but type of driving is. It's my DD, about 70% : 30% road : offroad. 17-24 inches rain annually where I live, but I need an aggressive tread. SO basically, I need an aggressive mud tread, since there are mudholes around, I need siping, and I need a strong compound. I would really rather not go with BFG AT's. They would work best for my 70% driving, but would be RAPED on the 30% side. I was thinking Maxxis Bighorns, Kumho MT's (new pattern), or Wrangler MTR's. If I go to discount tire, I think I could get 5 Maxxis or Kumho, but only 4 MTR's for the money, I assume.

My questions: what would you go with? Would you go with anything else? Does Discount Tire have to special order their tires? Should I get 5 for sure, since I have a 400 mile drive home Saturday night? Should I just drive home with a 4.5" lift, SYE, front shaft, and 225's? I can't decide. Help me out.

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
JeepinJerimiah

Drive with the 225s then go get your tires. PepBoys has rebranded Copper STT and they call them Dakota M/T's they look great and are aggressive and for only $90 a tire you can't beat the price.

[SIZE="2"]1994 Cherokee SE/ChyCo 8.25/4.0 HO/AW4/Custom Drive Shaft/Rusty's 3" Full Pack /Cragar Soft 8's 15x8/Dakota M/T 31x10.50x15/Custom Cat Back/Walmart Lights/Bedlined Rockers/Alpine CDA-9843 Head/160xxx Miles[/SIZE]
JeepinJerimiah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
sc0872

I have the MT MTZ's on my cherokee and they are awesome on the road and mud, I do use this vehicle for my D/D 80% of the time but play hard on the weekends.
sc0872 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i do like the bighorns........
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJerimiah
Drive with the 225s then go get your tires. PepBoys has rebranded Copper STT and they call them Dakota M/T's they look great and are aggressive and for only $90 a tire you can't beat the price.

the point was, should I drive all the way home with 225's, because I'll have 5 of them incase I get a flattie, or should I go with the bigger tires there. There's a pep boys where I am going, but I dont want to waste my money with re-branded garbage. "Do it once, do it right."*

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Buntaluffigus

There's mud in Davis?

Edit: Not too many people dig the MT/R in the mud.
Buntaluffigus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Spend the few extra bucks on BFG MT's. You'll be happy and they have a long road life....
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
illz302

If price is not an issue than i would reccomend the Pro Comp Mud Terrains or the X-Terrains they are both some very good tires with superior siping and off road traction.
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
tail_chaser
1994 XJ Cherokee 

What about the Trxus
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
JeepinJerimiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1k
the point was, should I drive all the way home with 225's, because I'll have 5 of them incase I get a flattie, or should I go with the bigger tires there. There's a pep boys where I am going, but I dont want to waste my money with re-branded garbage. "Do it once, do it right."*

I'm with you and after alot of research I found the tires are quality. Believe me I ran with BFG A/T that had almost 47000 miles.

[SIZE="2"]1994 Cherokee SE/ChyCo 8.25/4.0 HO/AW4/Custom Drive Shaft/Rusty's 3" Full Pack /Cragar Soft 8's 15x8/Dakota M/T 31x10.50x15/Custom Cat Back/Walmart Lights/Bedlined Rockers/Alpine CDA-9843 Head/160xxx Miles[/SIZE]
Unread 11-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
JeepnTXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoney0511
What about the Trxus
x2. You said you wanted good wear, aggressive tread and siping. You pretty much get all that with the TrXus's. I had a set on a fullsize dodge and got probably 35-40k miles out of'em. And they aren't expensive, especially for 31's. I believe they're around $120-$130 a piece at 4wheelparts.
Unread 11-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

Are TRXuses freely available? I mean, not at a 4wheelparts, because they offered to install the 31" Pro Comp MT's during the 4 for 3 deal in October for $900 dollars. I just walked out on them, and won't be going back. I was going to go with Big O Tires, or Discount Tire, because they will mount any size, but I need something that will be readily available (dont have time to wait for the warehouse to send them). Money isn't really the issue, but I don't want something expensive, unless I can get five tires, because at either 31's or 32's, the 28" spare wont work. I have about $700 to spend on tires initially, but can pay more if needbe.

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
Unread 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
XJChris98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you need a good mud tire....stay away from the MTR's.
XJChris98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

well yea, but for practicality, the MTR is strong, pliable, widely available, and aggressive for trails.

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
Unread 11-22-2006, 03:28 AM   #15
JeepinJerimiah

Here is what those Dakota M/T's look like. Pretty aggressive tread pattern. They also have some nice siping which is good for the winter.
11-19-06_1325.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.