Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

comanche?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  75SV1 
#1 ·
Hey peoples Im having troubles and maybe you all can help. I currently drive an 87 jeep comanche pickup with the 4.0 and five speed aisin tranny mated to a NP 231 transfer case with a rear dana 35 and a front dana 30. here is my problem i love the crap out of this pickup and would like to do some mods to it but it would appear that no one in the aftermarket even acknowledges this vehicles existence i can find no lift kits, bumpers, dress up pruducts, ect... specifically for the MJ body, i have however found that many XJ parts fit my MJ...so the question is this: does anyone know of any aftermarket parts carriers that have MJ parts and if not, then how similar are the XJ and MJ... similar enough to use the same lift kits arb bumpers, and is there a pickup close enough to the comanche to crossover bad rails or a roll bar Ive been told maybe an older dakota but I dont know, any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Wayne

#2 ·
Unfortunately, like you said, the MJ is pretty rare compared to the XJ, but if you look hard enough, you may be able to find the parts you need. Lift kits are generally the same. The only difference may come in the fact that the MJ has a spring under design in the rear, whereas the XJ is spring over. I don't know if that effects the kit or not. The front bumper is the same - don't know about the rear. You could probably make/have built a custom one for you. Sorry I can't help more with the roll bar, but I'm not all that familiar with the MJ other than that it shares the front end and driveline of the XJ.

Good Luck, :thumbsup:

Peter

#3 ·
for bumpers i'd say get in touch with this guy http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/ i personally have never delt with him before, but i hear alot of great things from people on here all the time, he does all his own custom work, and i'm sure he can make bumpers and whatnot for your truck, as for lift, most things should be the same with the cherokee and comanche except for the rear springs on a comanche are spring under axel, where the cherokee are spring over, so for lifting a comanche a block won't work it'll only lower it, but if you look around i've seen shackels for xj's that also have a lil side note that they work for comanches but give a lil different size of lift, i think that 1 3/4 cherokee shackels only give 1 inch of lift for comanches, but good luck

#4 · (Edited)
j33p3rs said:
Hey peoples Im having troubles and maybe you all can help. I currently drive an 87 jeep comanche pickup with the 4.0 and five speed aisin tranny mated to a NP 231 transfer case with a rear dana 35 and a front dana 30. here is my problem i love the crap out of this pickup and would like to do some mods to it but it would appear that no one in the aftermarket even acknowledges this vehicles existence i can find no lift kits, bumpers, dress up pruducts, ect... specifically for the MJ body, i have however found that many XJ parts fit my MJ...so the question is this: does anyone know of any aftermarket parts carriers that have MJ parts and if not, then how similar are the XJ and MJ... similar enough to use the same lift kits arb bumpers, and is there a pickup close enough to the comanche to crossover bad rails or a roll bar Ive been told maybe an older dakota but I dont know, any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Wayne
I have an '88 Comanche. From my sources, the springs in the rear are a bit longer on the Comanche than the Cherokee. A few makers make kits specifically for the Comanche. I think Super Lifts does. Some one use to make a dress roll bar for it.
Here's a web link for some suspension sources:
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/comanches/
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.