JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Cold transmission wont shift out of 1st gear (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cold-transmission-wont-shift-out-1st-gear-754303/)

sAe23 04-15-2009 07:16 PM

Cold transmission wont shift out of 1st gear

95 XJ Sport, 4.0, Auto.
When cold, the transmission stays in first gear way longer than normal, upwards of 4000 rpm. If I blip the throttle, it will shift, but after the next stop it will stay in first again until I trick it into shifting.
This stops once everything is warmed up, say .5 to 1 mile of driving or so (rarely more than 2 stops).
Once warmed up it will shift properly for the rest of the day, unless the outside temps get very cold (for SoCal!) and the Jeep sits for a while.
I checked the fluid level and added half a quart because it was difficult to tell what the level was :/ After adding fluid, the level LOOKED right, but the symptom persists.
My mechanic says the symptoms indicate a bad pump (?) or other major internal problems. Are there other issues that can cause this symptom or am I doomed get the tranny fixed?

TIA

b3nj4m1n 04-17-2009 08:11 PM

Bump

I've noticed mine doing the same thing the past couple weeks but staying in 2nd and not shifting to 3rd

heep of feces 11-15-2009 09:11 PM

i know this is an old post but i am experiencing this problem.. can someone shine some light on this topic?

bigbrannew 11-16-2009 07:31 AM

mine doesn't want to shift out of 1st when it gets hot ( only once and a while) I have to let off of the gas and it will shift

dbcox 11-16-2009 05:38 PM

Its not my jeep but my 97 4x4 4runner does the same thing. i just crank it up and let it warm up before i leave. i got 230k on it now. It needs to warm up some before you dive oin and drive away anyway

greencjxj 11-16-2009 07:13 PM

My jeep was doing the same thing. I replaced the shift seleniods in the transmission and it has been fine since. Cant say that yours is the same thing but that is what mine was. If that is the problem www.makcotransmissionparts.com sells the shift seleniods way cheeper than the auto parts places. Hope that helps a little.

O-D 06-21-2013 08:10 PM

Changed solenoids but didn't fix it

My XJ is doing the same thing. Every morning when it's cold (or on an afternoon after it's been sitting all day) it won't shift out of 1st gear until I've driven it for half a mile or so and it has warmed up. It revs upward of 4,000 rpm but eventually I can trick it into changing into 2nd gear by backing off the pedal and accelerating. Then it works fine after that until the next time it is cold.

There are no codes and I've changed the TPS. I changed two of the solenoids over today and both the old and replacement solenoids showed a reading of approx 12 ohms. It made no difference, I'm still stuck in 1st gear when cold.

What should I try next?

skyway0018746 06-21-2013 08:33 PM

maybe try and adjust the kick down cable.

wgirvine 06-21-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-D (Post 15592176)
I changed two of the solenoids over today...

Aren't there 3 solenoids in there? Did you change the 1-2 solenoid?

O-D 06-21-2013 09:57 PM

Yes 3 solenoids but I only changed the 1-2 and 3 solenoid. I didn't worry about the OD solenoid.

I've adjusted the kickdown cable now so I can add that to the list but I won't know if it's made any difference until tomorrow morning when it's cold.

skyway0018746 06-22-2013 06:10 AM

Also, maybe you have a plugged coolant line. You could try and loop them and see if it helps.

O-D 06-22-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyway0018746 (Post 15593034)
Also, maybe you have a plugged coolant line. You could try and loop them and see if it helps.

No change with the kickdown cable adjusted. :( I pulled the TCM fuse and manually shifted through the gears with no problems, and this was still while it was cold.

By looping the coolant line do you mean bypassing the transmission oil cooler and running the out line straight back into the return line? I installed a new B&M oil cooler 2 years ago and replaced the transmission lines so I'd be surprised if they were the problem. Would the symptom of a blocked oil line be sticking in 1st gear when cold? I would have thought it would cause the transmission oil to get hot and overheat.

skyway0018746 06-22-2013 06:58 PM

If it was blocked it would slow the flow of fluid causing a delayed shift. I too have a b&m cooler and haven't experienced any problems. I also put in an inline filter. How many miles are on the transmission / how is the fluid?

O-D 06-22-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyway0018746 (Post 15595069)
If it was blocked it would slow the flow of fluid causing a delayed shift. I too have a b&m cooler and haven't experienced any problems. I also put in an inline filter. How many miles are on the transmission / how is the fluid?

Wouldn't this mean the flow would be slower all the time, not just when cold? The transmission has done about 220,000 miles. I changed the filter and fluid yesterday when I replaced the solenoids. I might try another TCM next?

skyway0018746 06-22-2013 07:26 PM

It may flow better once it warms up ans the fluid is thinner. But it seems like its something else. Like you have a sticking valve or something.

The time now is 05:49 AM.