cold start skip - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cold start skip

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #31
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If it's been reliable for 5 years I wouldn't give up and junk it after a week of diagnosis. Look it up, the 2000 and 2001 4.0 xjs with the 0331 head had a lot of problems. We aren't saying that's for sure your issue, we are just trying to lend advice through a computer. Calm down and dig deeper or sell it to someone who will fix it.

Unread 01-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #32
skidj2x

lol.. what im saying is, this isnt one of gm's clock radios, where you throw the motor away after every oil change.. i just find it unlikely that there is a mechanical issue in a 5 year old motor, with 14 year old components running the show.
all the checks and tests ive done, by the book, all the specs are on point. But it still runs like a new ford.
in the meantime, i have an entire fleet of vehicles to look after, and dont have the time to tear my daily driver down looking for gremilns. thats why im taking it to the dealer, let them chase the wires and probe the sensors.
skidj2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #33
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidj2x View Post
lol.. what im saying is, this isnt one of gm's clock radios, where you throw the motor away after every oil change.. i just find it unlikely that there is a mechanical issue in a 5 year old motor, with 14 year old components running the show.
all the checks and tests ive done, by the book, all the specs are on point. But it still runs like a new ford.
in the meantime, i have an entire fleet of vehicles to look after, and dont have the time to tear my daily driver down looking for gremilns. thats why im taking it to the dealer, let them chase the wires and probe the sensors.
Did you ever backprobe the tps and put a volt meter on it? Go over intake/exhaust manifold bolts to make sure they are tight? A flashing cel means your misfire could be catalyst damaging. I know you sprayed fluid to check for vacuum leaks, wouldn't hurt to at least verify the manifold bolts around cylinder 6 are tight. Could also try a smoke test. Once you completely ruled out a vacuum leak Id verify all your sensors are functioning properly, especially the tps and o2's. I understand your busy and wish you could get this figured out. If you take it to the dealer, report back your findings.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #34
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hopefully you don't get probed to hard as well
We know what you're saying, mine is my DD also.
You've done a lot, personally I would like to see you see it through..
Whatever you decide let us know the end result please..
landude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #35
skidj2x

i havent driven this thing since wednesday last week.. when it started getting too rough to drive..
i didnt backprobe the tps, i did a throttle sweep watching for voltage dropout on the scan tool datastream..
i did go through and check the torque on the manifold bolts.. they were all tight..

i had an 05 liberty come through the shop one time with the cel on.. i dont remember the specific code that came up, but the description was intake manifold leak. which could very well be with those stupid plastic manifolds.. i poured like five gallons of water over that engine listening for the slurping.. but there was nothing.. i cleared the code and told the customer to bring it back when the light came back on.. a week later he finally came back, and it was a tps code.. aparently the signal the ecm was getting from the map sensor, in the absence of the propper tps signal, made it look as though there was a vacuum leak..

ill post up what the service dept says at the dealership.. these goofy assed mystery misfires seem to happen to too many people to not share the resoluion to this problem..
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #36
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, please keep us posted on this one. We're all learning here. Hope that your XJ gets handed off to a good technician at the dealership.

As they say in the financial industry "your results may vary".......
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #37
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think lots of us were in for a rude suprise when the 00-01 Jeeps we had, with the legendary 4.0 started to disintegrate.

But it was when the engine was being planned to be removed from the line, when they started skimming on things like piston skirts, and when they started to push emissions standards just a bit higher (in some cases they made them worse). And they had a manufacturing defect in heads, across the engine line, that we have come to understand means failure after an overheat.

Im semi activly looking for a 99 right now, because it skirts these issues. I would love the newest I could get, but that isnt reasonable (and I f'n hate all those stupid hoses for the rats nest o an emission system and heat soak issues that come with an 01, because we own our second 01 XJ)
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #38
skidj2x

dropped it off today, for fridays appointment.. ill let you guys know what they find.. oddly enough, the cel didnt come back on driving it there.. it still ran like crap, but had plenty of power..
Unread 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #39
skidj2x

called down to the dealer today at 3pm.. the girl that answered said the service managerwas with the tech all day on my jeep. still havent heard from them. seems they cant figure it out either.
Unread 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #40
skidj2x

called the dealership again today .. seems the tech skipped sparkplug day at school & blew the #1 plug out of the head, taking the threads with it. they leave at 1pm on saturdays.. so i stopped down there at like 1245, but everyone was already gone.. my jeep was sitting outside, still warm, no fresh snow on it.. i always carry an extra key, so i popped the hood.. seems they got a new plug in #1, but dont know what the status is yet.
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #41
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How does one blow a spark plug out of the head?
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #42
skidj2x

im guessing by threading it in but not tightening it, then cranking it through..

unless its a ford 3 valve, then it just happens for no reason at all.

talked to the same girl in service as yesterday.. she didnt really know what was going on, but they had to "fix the threads, because the plug blew out"
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #43
skidj2x

so they called me this morning.. all fixed. everything mechanically and electrically checked out. as it turnsout, there was a small defect in the porcelan of the #6plug below the threadsthat i didnt even notice (usually youre looking higher on the plug at the electrodemaking sure the gap is good).. so a new plug in # 1 and # 6, plus the cam sensor i changed.. runs like brand new.
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Crazy how such a simple thing, hard to see, can make the whole system worth the price of scrap.
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #45
skidj2x

i saved the plug, i tried to take pictures of where the burn through the porcelan is, but the pictures just dont do it justice..
its been wicked cold again.. it was -12 the past two mornings.. started right up, no hesitation, no problems.. idles so smooth you could stack crystal champaign glasses on the block.. damn thing anyhow.. i was getting excited about buying a new vehicle.. lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.