cold start skip - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cold start skip

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Does it noticably run better once warm? Does the code go away when the engine clears up?

Unread 01-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landude View Post
Seems like you've covered many things.
How about cleaning the Throttle body. Dude, I did this today and was pretty impressed.
And as posted above the CPS in these thing can be a PITA...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...mmies-1114849/
x2
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #18
skidj2x

landude i cleaned the throttle body, and intake yesterday.. nothing conventional seems to be working.
skidj2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #19
skidj2x

it does run better when it warms up, but watching the datastream on the scan tool.. you can watch the misfire counter for the #6 cyl continue to increase. and there is still a pop pop pop from the exhaust..
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
skidj2x

when the problem started back in october, in three full warm up cycles, it would clear itself. now you can clear the code and it immediatly comes back. however, it doesnt always clear up.. so now its no longer reliable.. three days ago it was -19F outside, and today it was 47F outside.. started like crap, the exact same way both days..
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Is that the 0331 head? How many crank revolution did you do during the compression test? Also check the intake/exhaust manifold bolts for tightness, could possibly be a bad intake/exhaust manifold gasket.
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
skidj2x

yeah the 0331 head.. from what i understand its all they offered for 2000/2001 models..

for the compression test, it was approx 5 revolutions

if it were a vacuum leak i should see a fluctuation on my vacuum gauge.. but from a cold start, when it runs the worst, the vac gauge held steady
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #23
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

At this point either search jeep 4.0 p0306 misfire on google and start reading. That and start backprobing sensors and compare the readings to oem specs.
Unread 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
skidj2x

so i found this article.. http://www.askamechanic.info/askamec...nt/view/36/46/ which is the closest thing ive found to what im experiencing..

im going to try adjusting the cam syncronizer, and see if that does the trick..
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #25
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidj2x View Post
so i found this article.. http://www.askamechanic.info/askamec...nt/view/36/46/ which is the closest thing ive found to what im experiencing..

im going to try adjusting the cam syncronizer, and see if that does the trick..
I was going to suggest the cam position sensor. That does make the later XJs get all cranky.

Oh, and while you are out in the driveway, light fire to a small pile of money, instead of seafoaming stuff again. At least it will keep you warm
Unread 01-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #26
skidj2x

lol.. i like lighting money on fire..
so i tried adjusting the sycronizer, only to find the new software update on the scan tool took away my ability to actually sync the sycronizer.. so i pulled the cam sensor off the sycronizer.. inspecting it closely, the graphite pickup across from the magnet appeared cracked.. so i figured that MUST be whats causing my issues.. so i got another and installed it.. and it still runs like the poo. (heres the part where i light more money on fire) so thursday im taking it to the deaaler. i just cant personally invest any more of my time in diagnosing the thing. ive got other vehicles that need attention...
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #27
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidj2x View Post
i installed new autolite plugs gapped to .35
Just to confirm, did you gap the plugs to .35 or .035? .035 is the correct gap for the 4.0 engine......

Any use of coolant? Might be a good idea to perform a "block test" to sniff the coolant for the presence of hydrocarbons; an indication of a cracked head.

My gut feel is that with good compression numbers across the board and with fuel injectors and coil rail ruled out, the problem might be in the head somehow; cracked or a valve issue. Most of the time, the 0331 head cracks between cylinders 3-4 where there is a known defect, but anything is possible on any cylinder with this infamous head!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #28
skidj2x

but the trouble code always reads p0306, cyl 6 misfire..
like i mentioned before this engine/head only has 50,000 miles on it.. the last engine blew out the lower rad hose and seized.. so im extra vigilant when it comes to coolant..
when i pulled the plugs out to do the compression test, i checked the gap, and theyre still .035..
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #29
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
Just to confirm, did you gap the plugs to .35 or .035? .035 is the correct gap for the 4.0 engine......

Any use of coolant? Might be a good idea to perform a "block test" to sniff the coolant for the presence of hydrocarbons; an indication of a cracked head.

My gut feel is that with good compression numbers across the board and with fuel injectors and coil rail ruled out, the problem might be in the head somehow; cracked or a valve issue. Most of the time, the 0331 head cracks between cylinders 3-4 where there is a known defect, but anything is possible on any cylinder with this infamous head!
This is what I thought too, however other threads indicate cracks on other cylinders. Maybe time to pull the valve cover and take a close look.
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #30
skidj2x

i refuse to believe that there is a mechanical problem with this engine. ive had this pos for seven years, running on this engine for five.. i dont wheel it, i dont hammer it.. i drive it on the highway 12 miles to and 12 miles from work six days a week..

you guys are saying that the 0331 head isnt reliable enough to make it 50K? then its not time to pull the head, its time to roll this **** box up in a rug and dump it in a quarry somewhere. theres some electrical gremlin somewhere in this thing, and if the dealership cant resolve it, thats where its going to stay. im sure theyll have a nice 4wd rice wagon that i can put 200,000 miles on without worrying about cracked heads.

the compression test was done with all the plugs out, so if there were cracks between cylinders, or a bad head gasket, they would have had poor compression..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.