cold air intake woes.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cold air intake woes..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
smurfinjeep
1991 XJ Cherokee 

cold air intake woes..

Ive searched Google for a direct fit cold air intake and not happy. Anyone know of a banks intake for a 97 Cherokee xj? Or if mopar makes one?? I have a knn off my old jeep but the sticker is gone. Ca smog regs requires the sticker. So I'm looking for a new one. Any help??

smurfinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Take it off, put on the factory air box, smog it, put the ****ty K&N back on. When is the last time a cop popped the hood on a jeep foe illegal mods?
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
gst
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Look at the intake hole on a stock air cleaner box. Find a leaf blower at the good will or somewhere. Cut the end off the leaf blower tube so it fits inside of the air cleaner opening. Cut out the fiberglass header so the tube will protrude through it into the area behind the headlight. Seal the gaps with some foam. Relocate intake air temp sender from the intake manifold to the lid of the air cleaner box and enjoy your new found power.
97 XJ, 6" lift with SYE. OTK steering, drop pitman, custom track bar relocated to top of axle, IRO long arm kit, RC disconnects. Powertrax no slip locker in the rear. Stock wheels with 31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's.
gst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

CAI is a waste of money and K&N filters are the absolute worst for letting dirt pass through.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
smurfinjeep
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Am I chasing a ghost with either of those companies? Do they not make an intake for xj's? My newer jeep didn't have a stock air box when I got it, just an oakey filter. So I used my old knn. Definitely want rid of it. It just seems to attract dirt rather than block it. Anyone with better help?
smurfinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

On the subject of the wiper cowl intake, if you remove the airbox, where do you put the filter?
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
On the subject of the wiper cowl intake, if you remove the airbox, where do you put the filter?
There have been options where the filter goes in the cowl, but most will have a box at the firewall under the hood with just the intake extending into the cowl. For a commercially available option look at Spectre. Home brew options using Windstar (what I used on my TJ) or Mustang boxes have been written up many times and are much cheaper than Spectre.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst View Post
Relocate intake air temp sender from the intake manifold to the lid of the air cleaner box
I know you were kidding around with your post but I tried this mod with a 2nd IAT from another engine and I had a high idle with it installed this way. I have a cowl intake so it was definitely getting cooler air. I swapped it back to the stock unit but it's still not something I've ruled out.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

There is also a cowl intake by Thor. Spectre, Thor, or homemade are the only ways to go for true cold air in my opinion. All those other K&N (garbage filtration!) and similar "CAI"/fipk kits are also a waste of money. They're not cold air intakes--they breathe hot engine bay air just like stock and probably more so because stock is at least close to and pointed at the back of the headlight/grill.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
gst
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I know you were kidding around with your post but I tried this mod with a 2nd IAT from another engine and I had a high idle with it installed this way. I have a cowl intake so it was definitely getting cooler air. I swapped it back to the stock unit but it's still not something I've ruled out.
Actually no, I wasn't kidding. The CIA and IAT mods are on my Jeep and added quite a bit of power. If you had a high idle the IAT sensor was bad or you may have had a bad connection. The computer thought it was really cold outside and bumped the idle up. Use a scanner that reads data to see what the sender is telling the computer. There are MaxScan scanners on ebay the give the data stream. Look for MaxScan GS500, around $70.
97 XJ, 6" lift with SYE. OTK steering, drop pitman, custom track bar relocated to top of axle, IRO long arm kit, RC disconnects. Powertrax no slip locker in the rear. Stock wheels with 31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's.
gst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a ScanGauge II coming in the next few days. I'll follow up with you once it's hooked up. Some of my reading suggested you can turn the element in the IAT to adjust for a high idle but I didn't explore that far.
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did this mod, & like it alot.

My worries about water drowning the filter in heavy rains were unfounded. Just make sure the filter is up off the floor of the cowl void a little bit.

It is a bit noisier, but it doesn't bother me. Kind of sounds like an outboard boat motor is inside the cowl.

http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did a variation that maintained the factory air box. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...ml#post8798249

Unread 07-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
1999xjguy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst View Post
Look at the intake hole on a stock air cleaner box. Find a leaf blower at the good will or somewhere. Cut the end off the leaf blower tube so it fits inside of the air cleaner opening. Cut out the fiberglass header so the tube will protrude through it into the area behind the headlight. Seal the gaps with some foam. Relocate intake air temp sender from the intake manifold to the lid of the air cleaner box and enjoy your new found power.
Do you have a picture of this done? Sorry I just bought an XJ last week to work on with my son and funds are limited and he wants a cold air intake. Thanks
1999xjguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My version above was $20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.