Cold Air Intake For An 89" XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cold Air Intake For An 89" XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
sociald

Cold Air Intake For An 89" XJ

After searching high and low I've found that no makes a cold air intake for for an 89' XJ only 91' and above. Would I be able to use a 91' after maket cold air intake on my 89'? I would keep my stock air box for smog reasons so that wouldn't be an issue, just swap it out when smog time comes. I just need to know if the 91' cold air intake will attach to my stock 89' intake elbow or am I stuck with making my own?

59mm TB - Home Brew Cold Air Intake - Rusty's 3" AAL
31"x9.5" Procomp A/T - Poly Bushings Bumper-To-Bumper
[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2306019"]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2306019[/URL]
sociald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
JoJo97XJ

get a K&N filter and, some pvc pipe and a flexible elbow and make your own, it will be cheaper and probally just as good

86 2 door XJ - 4 inches lift, 31 Mastercrafts, 2.5L, 5 speed, sold

89 YJ - 2.5" Rancho lift, 31" AT's, 4.2L w/ 5 speed, soft top and doors, Sold

"Nitrous is like a hot chick w/ an STD, you wanna hit it, but you'r afraid of the concequences." -tealcherokee
JoJo97XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
sociald

That would work and I guess I would make a heat shield (box) with some tin and heat insulator for the actual filter part to sit in. Should be a fun project... if I don't F' it up
59mm TB - Home Brew Cold Air Intake - Rusty's 3" AAL
31"x9.5" Procomp A/T - Poly Bushings Bumper-To-Bumper
[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2306019"]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2306019[/URL]
sociald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
twisted_ed

the reason no one makes one, is because the pre 91s used a system where when it is a certain temprature (cold) a vacume operated switch at the front of the airbox closes off the entrance to the box and it sucks warm air off the exhaust manifold. Manufactuers dont seem to want to touch this type of setup.. apparently plugging off the vacumm line and removing the box is too hard for engineers... but at any rate, remove the box, chase the vacumm line to the engine and remove it and plug the hole and you now have a 91+ style... but you will still have to make a setup, cause the 91 plus also use a hose clamp to attach the air intake tube to the throttle body and 90s and older use three torx head cap screws to hold the tube to the throttle body, do like above, get yourself some abs pipe and make your own, or get rustys airtube..,. but its still not cold air so like you said, you will need to make a heat sheild or somthing.
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
mbshupe123
1989 XJ Cherokee 

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=PER_AIR I am thinking of buying this one for my cherokee... any suggestions...I also have the 1989 and this picture shows that it has the sensor and every thing to hook for around 80$ when buying the K&N filter...
mbshupe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow......a 5 1/2 yr old thread......and that's a HOT AIR intake if there ever was one.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cold air my a**. Do cold air intakes really deliver cold air to the system? IMO, probably not. Even if you have a shield of some kind, once the engine compartment heats up the air that enters the system will be hot. IMO the idea is to get more air into the system. I have a Rusty's tube and a K&N filter and it works great.
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Why not hop on the zombie thread...

More airflow also means more dust into the engine with a K&N. You are getting less filtration, period. That adds up to more wear and more oil changes at a minimum. Unless you get a pre-filter to go over it, which most dont realize is supposed to happen, and then you are really getting spendy.

Most engines wont ever see the benefits of a larger air intake, not without other various mods. Now with a bored throttle and some exhaust work, it will do a good bit to get some extra air flow, at least that stands o reason. Also, if you are looking to move the intake for water resistance, that really stands to reason and if you go with a snorkel with heat shielding, that's going to be your best "cold air" pull.
Unread 01-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

a cold air intake on any 4.0 wont do anything. the exhaust manifold is directly under the intake manifold, so the second any air reaches the valves you can be 100% sure the air is not cold in any way.
david92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
Donerstude
1989 XJ Cherokee 

doing this : remove the box, chase the vacumm line to the engine and remove it and plug the hole and you now have a 91+ style
In California will cause you to fail smog. which is the reason you do not see them
Black Jeep Society #276
89 XJ Cherokee 4x4
95 ZJ Grand Cherokee 2x4
Donerstude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #11
Godfrii

Hey all.
I'm new to the jeep forums. I do have some questions about the forums and my k&n air filter.
I bought a k&n for my '99 grand cherokee and the rigid pipe that goes from the filter to the What i think is the throttle body has a small outlet or valve (about a 1/4" dia.) which is permanently open right near where it connects to the throttle body. I don't know what it is for so I'm thinking of plugging is to prevent dust and stuff from getting in through it. Below is a pic of the device and uou can see the outlet. Does anyone know what the outlet is for?
LINK:

http://www.speedzonemotorsports.com/...productid=6496
Godfrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Godfrii

Oh and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I don't know how to use the app and forums yet.
:P
Godfrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92xj View Post
a cold air intake on any 4.0 wont do anything. the exhaust manifold is directly under the intake manifold, so the second any air reaches the valves you can be 100% sure the air is not cold in any way.
Thats why you get some heat sheilding under the intake manifold, its been done with doccumented results.
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
DZINE
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by optdoug View Post
Cold air my a**. Do cold air intakes really deliver cold air to the system? IMO, probably not. Even if you have a shield of some kind, once the engine compartment heats up the air that enters the system will be hot. IMO the idea is to get more air into the system. I have a Rusty's tube and a K&N filter and it works great.
yea, the idea of a CAI is to deliver cold air into the intake, do most kits do this? (Maby not) but if you where to make your own true cold air intake by bringing the inlet around to the front of vehicle allowing it to breeth fresh clean cold air, there would be a massive difference in performance.
DZINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just used the stock air box on my '96 - the opening for the air box is a couple inches behind the radiator header, which has a matching (plugged) hole just ahead of the air box inlet. When I had the headlights out prep'ing for a paint job, I removed the plug, so now fresh air should flow from in FRONT of the radiator / behind the headlight right into the stock airbox. I'm certain this will provide cooler air than any aftermarket CAI that doesn't include a snorkel or true ram air inlet (which I wouldn't run on an XJ because it would be subject to water ingestion, the last thing you want to have happen).

FWIW, I do believe in ram air, and installed a ram air system on my '78 GMC motorhome (the swoopy front wheel drive classic), feeding air from a collector just inside the grille, off to the side of the radiator.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.