Coil Springs or Shocks?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Coil Springs or Shocks?!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

View Poll Results: Votes on the fix?
Coil Springs 0 0%
Shocks 0 0%
Coil Spring Spacers 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Moggle

Coil Springs or Shocks?!

So i have a 3.5" lifted '96 XJ on 31" tires with no added body armor/major sources of weight. I put this lift on about 3 years ago and recently the front passenger is starting to sag causing it to be off-level across the hood. I have read a ton of posts and still am not clear. I need it to be .5" higher on the passenger front. I have an add a leaf kit in the back (with 4 leafs- i have seen some people ask in other posts if it matters) & Rancho 5000's in the front with Rusty's 3.5" lift coils (I didn't know any better at 16- i get it now )

Measurements: I measured between the e's in Jeep (the middle of the wheel) on stock rims to the bottom of the fender flare- uncut/unmolested

Front:
Driver- 21.25"
Passenger- 20.75"

Rear:
Driver-22.75"
Passenger-22.75"

Basically i am wanting to get this back to level and i don't know if i can just add a .5" spacer to one side (Being suspension this seemed unlikely) OR if i need new coil springs OR if the source of my problem is just a bad shock.

- I have checked all of the parts in question & none are visibly damaged. No spring spacers at all so far so nothing got shifted/moved. The shocks "feel" even when adding my roommates body weight to either side and measuring travel (~2-3's depending on if he sat or i tossed him onto the hood- appx 175lbs). I was measuring travel from the bottom of the respective side of the plastic bumper cap to the pavement. That to me pointed to the coil but the "Honda Expert" roommate swears its the shock. Help!?! Much appreciated

[/IMG]

wp_000082.jpg  
Moggle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Having the jeep lean to the passenger side is normal. Usually if it is leaning a lot (> 0.5") it is the leaf springs sagging. I had to battle the same issue and it turned out I had damaged the passenger side leaf spring.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Moggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Having the jeep lean to the passenger side is normal. Usually if it is leaning a lot (> 0.5") it is the leaf springs sagging. I had to battle the same issue and it turned out I had damaged the passenger side leaf spring.
Hey thanks for your reply! I had read that in a few threads but was not sure if they (The leaf springs) could be damaged if the rear sits level? If so, how would i check to make sure its the leafs or that one is damaged as they are sitting at the same height? IF it is my rear leaf's, would a new set take care of the problem or just prevent it from coming back for a few months until the new leafs settled? More or less i want the dang thing level & don't mind doing the wrench work/buying the parts- i just dont wan't to have to re-do it all every few months to chase an impossible goal. Again- thanks!
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
jeep3000gt
1994 XJ Cherokee 

It's not the shocks making it sag. Shocks have nothing to do with ride height. Shocks absorb the oscillations from your springs. If your ride is really bouncy better quality shocks and springs would fix that. If I were you I would replace the front coil springs, that will make your ride height level, I would also replace the rear add a leaf with a full spring pack, from my experience if your add a leaf hasn't started sagging yet it eventually will
jeep3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Moggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep3000gt View Post
It's not the shocks making it sag. Shocks have nothing to do with ride height. Shocks absorb the oscillations from your springs. If your ride is really bouncy better quality shocks and springs would fix that. If I were you I would replace the front coil springs, that will make your ride height level, I would also replace the rear add a leaf with a full spring pack, from my experience if your add a leaf hasn't started sagging yet it eventually will
That was my origional thought- do you reccomend any particular brand (Other than Rusty's- i won't buy ANYTHING with their name on it) that is known for lasting longer/not sagging or at least sagging at the same rate? And i was incorrect in my origional posting.

** As far as the rear goes I have a full spring pack meant for a lift-kit and had been calling it an add a leaf (I assumed anythign with more metal than stock was an AAL but got it figured out).
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

X2, it's your leaf springs.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coils , shocks , spacers , suspension , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.