coil rail to distributor swap ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > coil rail to distributor swap ?

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
comanche

coil rail to distributor swap ?

hi, i was wondering if there is any way to convert the coil rail crap on my 2000 XJ to the older distributor and plug wire's setup ?, i've herd that i would need the PCM, whole harness, and a bunch of other stuff to make it work , thanks for any info

comanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you need the PCM, distributor, several wiring harnesses, and a bunch of new sensors. If you have a 50-state or California-spec emissions XJ with the 4 O2 sensors and 3 cats it's illegal to do so.

Why do you want to do this? What problem do you have with the coil-on-plug ignition?
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is no reason to swap. There will be no added performance or benefits resulting from the swap. If your Jeep is subject to smog inspection, it will fail if you swap to an older PCM.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

OP,

Check this out:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066869

November 4th, Don't forget to take the trash out

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
comanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysirsalad View Post
Yes, you need the PCM, distributor, several wiring harnesses, and a bunch of new sensors. If you have a 50-state or California-spec emissions XJ with the 4 O2 sensors and 3 cats it's illegal to do so.

Why do you want to do this? What problem do you have with the coil-on-plug ignition?
thanks for the info, I've had the issue of one coil going and having to replace the whole thing at around 250 bucks, plus working on the engine feels strange, like im working on a spaceship or something lol, I guess im just use to the old distributor systems
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
comanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
There is no reason to swap. There will be no added performance or benefits resulting from the swap. If your Jeep is subject to smog inspection, it will fail if you swap to an older PCM.
true at that, although my state doesn't have a smog test
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
comanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
thanks for the link, a lot of interesting reading there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.