Coil Over Rear Suspension Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Coil Over Rear Suspension Conversion

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 04-20-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
ATX XJ

Coil Over Rear Suspension Conversion

Any one here know how to do a coil over conversion in the rear? I will be working full time in an auto shop now and will have access to everything i wud think that i would need and im really interested in doing it. info plse! any writeups out there?

Unread 04-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
XJ-NoDough

I don't know of any write-ups but here is a complete kit. http://www.rockkrawler.com/index.php click on jeep products then XJ of course, then XJ suspension systems, then look at the bottom two. This might help you get an idea.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
gwarusee

I really wouldnt go with that conversion unless you are really adement about it. There are so many negatives that come along with it just for that little bit of extra flex. Replacing the stock style set up (in this case leaf springs) with a totally new system can also void insurance if you are to mess your car up in an accident, or soemone else's. They will use that simple conversion to justify your jeep as incompetent and make sure you recieve no benefits what so ever. My friend did a leaf spring conversion in the front and ended up wrecking . During the wreck the front right leaf tore out and this was used against him.
Sorry for being so negative about it, there are quite a few people who do this conversion and there are even a few kits that you can buy, I would just be really carefully when you decide what to do.
gwarusee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Basically hit Pirate4x4 and search for "tri link". There shoulbe be a couple of write up on home brewed stuff there. From what I gather, the tri link is preferred over the 4 link rear. Basically take the front setup and reverse it to the back. You'll need brackets for the control arms, trac bar body mount and axle mount, and spring perches. That or a stock TJ setup.

Is your old man okay with a coil over conversion? That's a lot of work for a vehicle that might not be lifted all that much.

SERIOUSLY consider a Explorer 8.8 with that rear setup. The fabbing required to get teh rear axle to work with coils would be the same on a stock axle, so you might as well upgrade.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
ATX XJ

i know its a big project but i figured that with the resources ill have at hand i might as well look into it some. is the 8.8 already coil ready? what are some disadvantages of the rear coils? from what ive heard they r pretty advantageous...better flex...seems easier to lift/cheaper.
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

No, the 8.8 is not a coil over setup till the 99 model. I would assume the perch widths are different from the XJ due to the fact the axle themselves are slightly narrower (about 1-2"). I beleive the TJ D44 would have different mounts as well.

The "best" way to fab a coil ready rear would be the M.O.R.E. 8.8 conversion kit for the TJ and then mount the perches where you'll need them on the XJ.

Depending on how stable the rear mounts are, the trac bar is a MUST. I believe the Tri-link setup offers the most stability.

Personally I think that a coil over is a HUGE first step. I would suggest doing a explorer axle conversion on the leaf springs first, then building up a set of Rock rails, front and rear bumpers, even an interior roll cage before tackling the coil over.

Hell, even a front long arm would be a good starting point. Lots of info out there about doing a homemade setup for that, but not as much for a rear coil over.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
ATX XJ

awsome...thx for all the info balloo. looks like custom rockrails and bumpers and maybe even a cage and axles are in my future before i tackle something like the coil-over rear. balloo feel free to visit the shop this summer where ill be workin. its don's auto shop down on south 1st st. i think i start may 25th or so
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
wipedawg

if you are going to fab up a bunch of stuff... might as well make the rear a ford 9 or a d60,,,, geter dun right the first time.

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
JIMBOJAMES

you could go and cut all the mounts off a ZJ at a junk yard and weld them to your XJ. Then go from there.
Unread 04-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
xjj33p3r
Web Wheeler

www.claytonoffroad.com

They JUST came out with a rear coil kit. Buy that, weld it on, and you're done. Lifetime warantee on parts. Pricey but worth it.
xjj33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.