Clutch fan ate my radiator! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Clutch fan ate my radiator!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
N2Fix
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clutch fan ate my radiator!

Well...didn't eat it, but it did take some bites out of it! The radiator is a CSF 3-row. A few weeks back I installed a new fan clutch (Napa part #272310) and a week later I start leaking coolant after towing my boat trailer. Thanks to the search feature here on Jeep Forum, I traced it to worn engine and tranny mounts. Now that those are replaced, I'm going to replace the radiator. With the fan clutch I am running, combined with the CSF 3-row radiator, is it just going to be a matter of time before I have this happen again? There is not as much clearance with this setup compared to the OEM fan clutch.
With only one day off a week and our shorter winter days upon us, I'd really prefer to not have to tear it apart more than I have to!

N2Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Some fan clutches (autozone) are HUGE and not built to spec.

But others (dealer/Napa) fit and give that extra 1/2 inch your looking for....I don't have a CSF 3 row so not sure if u have the right viscous clutch on there or not?
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I have been running the same ZJ clutch for ~3-4 years on my XJ, I have loved it since day one and it shows no signs of deterioration. I also replaced my radiator, motor & tranny mounts back then too. I've replaced several parts more than once over the 7 years and 200K+ miles that I've had the XJ...and yes, it IS just a matter of time before it fails again...how MUCH time depends on the parts, the source, the mechanic, the mileage, the way it's used etc. Lots of variables, nothing lasts forever.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That NAPA fan clutch you listed is the larger ZJ fan clutch. I have the same one sitting on my work bench. It is significantly closer to the radiator than the stock fan clutch. I have a CSF 3 row radiator also.

I recommend going with a stock fan clutch. When buying one note the size in comparison to the ZJ clutch. It should be much smaller.

Autozone for example has the WRONG fan clutch listed in their system. Any 96+ cherokee has the ZJ fan clutch listed as the stock one in their system. When I bought mine, I had to get one for a 1992 Cherokee 4.0 since that is the correct size. I've notified Autozone of their system error but they have failed to change it.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

AZ likely has the MAX COOL ZJ fan clutch as opposed to the ZJ HD clutch...the NAPA number referenced. There are 3 fan clutches. Stock, ZJ HD, and MAX COOL. The MAX COOL will not fit AFAIK. Or AZ could have all 3 but doesn't know that there is a difference. I never noticed the ZJ HD clutch being much larger...if at all. I seem to have plenty of clearance and I have a 3 row with the p/n#272310 from NAPA.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
AZ likely has the MAX COOL ZJ fan clutch as opposed to the ZJ HD clutch...the NAPA number referenced. There are 3 fan clutches. Stock, ZJ HD, and MAX COOL. The MAX COOL will not fit AFAIK. Or AZ could have all 3 but doesn't know that there is a difference. I never noticed the ZJ HD clutch being much larger...if at all. I seem to have plenty of clearance and I have a 3 row with the p/n#272310 from NAPA.
The wrong one from Autozone is the SAME as the Napa ZJ clutch. I compared them. And the ZJ clutch from NAPA is larger than the stock one.

In the pics below, NAPA # 272310 (ZJ clutch) on left and Mopar part# 52079625AB (stock 4.0 XJ clutch) on right:

The ZJ max cool clutch is much thicker than the ones shown above and won't even fit an XJ with a stock radiator.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As jeepkids pictures show, p/n#272310 from NAPA is considerably larger. I run it along with a CSF 3 core rad and I'm not worried about interference because I'm running Ironman4x4 motor mounts with poly bushings in them. There is very, very little movement of the motor inside the engine bay, and absolutely no forward motion. What are you replacing your motor mounts with? OEM stuff? If so I wouldn't run the ZJ fan clutch. If you go with Brown Dog or Ironman4x4 or something similar you should be fine.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
N2Fix
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have a Brown Dog retail store 5 minutes from my house...but there is a Napa. OEM parts won this one out of sheer convenience. I'm going to go ahead with the CSF 3-row radiator again and also going back to a stock fan clutch.
This was the first time that I've ever changed engine mounts. Considering the job was so ridiculously easy, I see a set of the Brown Dog poly mounts in my near future.
Thanks for all the great input.
Oh, by the way, I will soon have a ZJ fan clutch, 45 days old, that will be available for cheap! Shoot me a pm if interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend View Post
As jeepkids pictures show, p/n#272310 from NAPA is considerably larger. I run it along with a CSF 3 core rad and I'm not worried about interference because I'm running Ironman4x4 motor mounts with poly bushings in them. There is very, very little movement of the motor inside the engine bay, and absolutely no forward motion. What are you replacing your motor mounts with? OEM stuff? If so I wouldn't run the ZJ fan clutch. If you go with Brown Dog or Ironman4x4 or something similar you should be fine.
N2Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If its the wrong clutch fan then return it! They sold u the wrong part.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
If its the wrong clutch fan then return it! They sold u the wrong part.
Its not the wrong part, its a commonly used fan clutch from a ZJ that locks up tighter than the stock fan clutch. Its quite commonly recommended on here and other forums for moving more air while being louder. It also happens to be larger, and along with the 3 core CSF rad which is slightly thicker than stock, leads to less than factory clearance between the fan clutch and rad.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
YoureverydayXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm glad to see that side by side comparison, and the motor mount recommendation. I was JUST about to find a ZJ fan clutch, but will hold off til I get some better mounts set up.
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
OnTheFence

Where can I order a OEM fan clutch for an 1998 XJ? 52079625AB

Rockauto has these:

HAYDEN Part # 2625 Thermal
Reverse Rotation Standard Duty Thermal Fan Clutch

Choose:
^ Ships from same location as parts in cart
$27.99
Add Part
FOUR SEASONS Part # 36980
Reverse Rotation Standard Duty Thermal Fan Clutch

$40.89
Add Part
OMIX-ADA Part # 1710503 Rebate/Promotion Available!
Reverse Rotation
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.