Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cluster Repair?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  PVPower 
#1 ·
Is it practical to do component-level repair on the instrument cluster? I'm not much of a mechanic but I am an electronics tech. My current target is the rear defroster timer, but that's a subject worth another thread.

#2 ·
Practical? Yes, absolutely with the skills you possess. Now realistic? That's another story. The original method for repairing the dash in warranty was a replacement cluster. Individual guages were not sold nor were internal component parts available.

If you can find a source for parts and can perform the module-level diagnostics, internal repairs should be feasible.

#5 ·
Thanks. I expect (hope?) to find a fairly standard timing circuit consisting of perhaps one off-the-shelf IC, maybe one discrete transistor to drive the relay coil, and a few passive components. From a design standpoint, nothing fancier is warranted unless it's integrated along with a boatload of other functions in a custom chip.

If I'm right, most likely the IC or the transistor have failed. If it's more mysterious than that or it looks like messing with the PCB is troublesome (e.g. components are buried in potting compound) I'd probably whip up a timer myself, cut the connections to the cluster, and hack it into place.

I realize this level of repair would never have been done by a dealer or garage. Not worth anyone's time. Fully electronic products are rarely repaired any more, for the same reason. But the most common faults are often simple ones, if you have a little knowledge and time.

Replacing the cluster because a 25 cent part has failed just rubs me the wrong way... especially when I probably have the part or a near substitute in my junk drawer. :)

#6 ·
OK, first, I'm BRAND new to these vehicles so don't beat me up too bad. :)

I wasn't aware of the self-test, but I'll certainly search for info on it now. Thanks for the mention, that could save me a lot of time.

Right now I'm just trying to gather the information and understand my options before I tear it apart. As I mentioned, the immediate problem is the rear window defroster. I know the switch, the heater element and the relay are OK, so I suspect the timer since that, and wiring, are all that's left. However I don't have a schematic for the complete defroster circuit and until yesterday I didn't even know where the timer lived.

I started a separate thread for that tho, so nuff said here.

Thanks again,
PVP

#4 ·
You wouldn't be the first to go in and play with the printed boards in there. Sounds like it would be a fabrication type of process, if you do find something wrong in there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.