Clunking/Popping Noise front wheels 1998 XJ Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Clunking/Popping Noise front wheels 1998 XJ Sport

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
YeOlCherokee

Clunking/Popping Noise front wheels 1998 XJ Sport

Hi Guys,

Im new here, just purchased my Jeep back in April. Its a 1998 Cherokee (XJ) with roughly 130,000 miles.

I've been having an issue with my truck since ive gotten it.

When the wheel it turned at least have the way and i am moving at a low speed, there is a loud pop/clunk noise which comes from the front wheels.
Examples of when it happens: Reversing/turning to get out of a parralel spot, going over any bumps slowly, with the wheel turned at all (turning into the driveway). im sorry if im not describing it too well, but i cant think of any other way to describe it. I will try to record the sound, and leave a link to it soon.

Additional info - I have death wobble and have been told by numerous people that all i need is new front tires and an alignment (which is true because my front tires have uneven wear (already like that when they were put on used) and i can tell by the steering and drifting that i need an alignment, but i was wondering if this wobble and this clunking could in any way be connected.

Any input is helpful guys. Unfortunately i am limited to rock auto parts and my own/ & friends car repair skills, so a mechanic visit is out of the question for now (Im BROKE !

YeOlCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Check the front u joints, that could be the clunking, especially since you notice it on turns. That wont cause death wobble. Tires themselves wont account for death wobble either.

Check you ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, trac bar and mount, and control arm bushings. Sometimes shaking the wheel side to side with the tires off the ground wont give any results for loose parts. Have somebody in the jeep, KOEO (key on engine off) and have them shake the wheel side to side while you keep an eye on the tie rod ends and trac bar for movement. Another common area to look at is where the trac bar connects to the axle, the hole gets ovaled out causing movement and can also cause a clunking as well as death wobble.

Most likely something is loose, rarely will the alignment cause it by itself.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Numerous people are pretty much wrong. Popping and clunking from the front when turning at slow speeds is almost always the track bar. Inspect the track bar bushings, check the torque on the fasteners, especially at the frame bracket.

If you need an alignment, have the Tech inspect your front suspension and steering components for worn out or damaged parts.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.