Clunking after new pads and rotors - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
97jeepxj1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Clunking after new pads and rotors

Arrrrg. So my new duralast gold brake pads and regular duralast rotors have squeaked since almost day one. Finally warrantied them out going With duralast gold rotors and gold pads. Got it all swapped out and the squeak is gone replaced with knocking under braking. I've torn it apart 3 times now rechecking all my torque specs and can't figure it out. Any ideas? I know my control arm bushings are crappy and need swapped but it didn't do this till after the brake swap. Possible I got stupid and put the pads in upside down? C cut out in the pads is at the bottom of the bracket. Only clunks under braking forward doesn't mater if it's normal or hard braking and I can feel it in the floor and pedal. Sounds like it is coming from the driver front. I'm going to stop rambling now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 AM
kycherokee1239
2000 XJ Cherokee 

1. Brake caliper piston is sticking casing a vibration when brakes applied. (Unequal pressure on rotor sides)
2. Defective rotor (warped causing vibration)
3. Bad wheel bearing hub
4. Bad ball joint.

The last two are just coincidental that it starts when you are working on something else nearby. A clunk sound suggests something is moving and striking something else. "Feeling it in the floor and pedal" suggests to me something out of balance or out of round, i.e., warped rotor, bearing. These are my best guesses

2000 Sport. 4.0 C 8.25 LSD. 242 TC. 105,000 miles. (Just Empty Every Pocket!)

2000 Sport. 4.0 C 8.25 LSD. 242 TC. 105K miles. (Just Empty Every Pocket!)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would suppose that the disk brake pad steel backing plates are undersized allowing the pads to squirm around, or that the control arm bushings are toast. A bad ball joint is also possible.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 AM
RLE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The pads have metal clips that snap into the hole in the calipers' pistons. The pistons
are made of a rubber/plastic composite material which can degrade over time and
wallow out. If that is the case, the pads can wiggle around and not want to move
with the piston. That can make a clunk.

The fix would be to replace the pistons in the calipers you have (which is what I did
after 15 years), or get remanufactured calipers.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2017, 12:07 AM
cl700
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Also check to make sure the pads sit tight in the caliper. There should be clips that may be bent a little to big on top of one of them. Bang these tight and it might go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride like its your last

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.