Clunk? noise when shifting from Park to Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Clunk? noise when shifting from Park to Drive

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clunk? noise when shifting from Park to Drive

sometimes when im parked and put it in reverse or drive the jeep makes a clunk noise and lunges a bit. What could it be?

BTW there is no delay of it going in gear. Drives smooth once in gear too.

JeepNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

p.s. last time i got my oil changed at a jeep dealership i had them do a 23 point inspection just to make sure i wasn't missing anything it passed everything.
Unread 02-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

could be a bad ujoint on ur driveshaft possible id start with those. do u have a sye wit that amount of lift?
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thats what i thought but im putting in a 4.5" RE lift and a tera flex sye in april with a tom woods D.S.

Im hoping it not engine mounts...those are expensive to replace....

Im acutally going to go out right now to check em.... damn im so impatient. I dont think however it would shift so smooth if that was it.

plus i have revved it and the engine has never moved drastically.
Unread 02-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

mayb its some worn out transfer case linkage? check the bushings on it i kno that mine r shot and they make a weird noise pretty often.. o btw u should look into the hack n tap nd xj front shaft, its a great way to get ur sye done and save a bunch of cash
Unread 02-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the hack and tap idea but i have two criteria to meet...

I have two days to install the lift and sye and this is my first lift and sye...so i figure ill take all that time...

second i dont want to add another day labor doing a hack an tap i just want it there to install

its prob. not the t case linkage because its also displaying other symptoms of a u-bolt failure.

Signs and Symptoms I have right now i don't understand:

Intermittent clunk from park to drive or reverse to drive (Reverse to drive tends to be worse).

Rhythmic ticking coming from rear of vehicle while braking.

Clunk when coming to a complete stop at lights (gets worse after an hour or two of driving)
Unread 02-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

on the tera flex sye dont u need to remove the trasfercase and split it open to install it? seems like thats gona take a lot more time and work than just grinding and drilling a hole to me but i might be wrong. i heard you might be able to grease ur slip yolk on ur rear driveshaft, sometimes the grease dries up and it can make a clunkin noise check the FAQ i think theres a write up in there on how to grease it
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Intermittent clunk -> If this is not a bad u-joint, then it is normal wear of the differential. This is often called drive line lash. Years and mileage increase the spaces between the small parts inside the diff. As you shift the tranny, the slack is taken up, and results in a clunk.

Rhythmic ticking -> Inspect the rear brakes for something thing that is slightly out of place or alignment and rubbing.

Clunk when stopping -> Grease the rear drive shaft slip yoke.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 02-23-2009 at 07:50 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
muddbug
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it sounds like a trans mount or motor mounts,it only does it every once in a while what about from drive to reverse. if it dont do it then it could be in the trans or case
muddbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbug View Post
it sounds like a trans mount or motor mounts...

Kind of a remote possibility on a stock Cherokee. Driveline lash happens to all Cherokees.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i think u should look into greasing the rear DS, that usually gets rid of clunks.

Also u can shift into N for about 3 seconds and then shift into R and that helps sometimes.

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
rehberg79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

U-joints or grease you slip yoke.

Just my
rehberg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i only have 143k miles on the jeep and its always been babied. no accidents and the previous driver was a grandma...so i am kinda thinking the diff is not worn out. im going to go check the engine mounts and u bolts.

If it is my u bolts or drive shaft ill live with it till i get the tom woods ds and sye.
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Greenmachine View Post
i think u should look into greasing the rear DS, that usually gets rid of clunks.

Also u can shift into N for about 3 seconds and then shift into R and that helps sometimes.
My old XJ had the same issue when I first got it. I greased the yoke and paused for a second in neutral before shifting to drive and never had the clunk again (or any other problems) for the couple years that I owned it.
4Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
JeepNoma
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok....heres the update...i went outside this morning and tooks a look at the 3 possible culprits.

Diff.
U bolts
Motor and tranny Mounts

The Differential might be a problem, It definitely has a leak i think around the plug...how do i replace that and how do I know if there is enough fluid in there?

U-Bolts have no give to twist the drive shaft. However this does not eliminate it as a culprit. they could need to be drivin a while to show the give.

Last the motor mounts scared me at first look but relieved me upon second look i think. The top layer of rubber per say has peeled back much like a new tire looses a layer of rubber to the elements when first put on. The mounts may have come like that from the factory that way. The rubber under neath the peeling layer is black and smooth and has no dry rot or deep cracks. they almost look brand new (bought the jeep from a dealership so its possible they replaced em.)

The Transmission mount i i almost know for a fact is brand new. Very squishy, no dry rot and no cracks what so ever.

Lastly if the engine mounts where bad they would allow the engine to move quite a bit when starting and revving.

Starting: minimal shake no more than a 1/4"
Revving: absolutely very little movement... 1/8" maybe

Doors dont shake when opened while engine idling.

I think the vehicle is fine i think it is the u bolts....what do you guys think and what should i do bout the diff.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.