"Clunk!" noise in the rear when hitting bumps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > "Clunk!" noise in the rear when hitting bumps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
cmassey_2006
2006 WK 

"Clunk!" noise in the rear when hitting bumps

Hey guys, I tried searching but apparently it must not be working right now cause I get prompted to download the 'search.php' page when clicking search.

...Anyways, sometimes when I hit a big bump in the road, go over speed bumps, etc. there is a very noticeable "clunk" sound that comes from the rear-end of my Jeep. It usually only happens when the impact is a quick jolt. My first thought was something was loose (like the shocks) , so yesterday I re-checked the torque of every bolt in the rear (leaf springs, shackels, shocks) and everything is tightened down to factory spec. I then thought it was the junk in my rear cargo area (spare, tow straps, tools, etc) and removed everything, but the sound is still there. It just concerns me because it wasn't there before I installed my lift and I want to make sure it isn't a sign of something loose or about to break. The only suspension-related changes I made in the rear since the noise were new leaf packs and shocks, and I remove the rear swaybar.

Has anyone had this problem and could let me know what caused the noise?

The next thing I am going to try is to have a friend drive my jeep slowly over a speed bump and see if I can pin-point where the noise is coming from. I'd be greatly appreciative of any help!!!

cmassey_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
cmassey_2006
2006 WK 

*bump*

One last request for ideas, please. Thanks!
Unread 08-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
91xjgawes

mine sometimes does it to my dad said it was nothin to worry about somthing with the rear end, thats been 20000 miles ago, sorry i couldint be more help

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

1998 zj 5.2- 245/75's moabs
91xjgawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
anony91xj

What exactly did you install for the lift?

Could be bushings on either end of the leaf springs, shock bushings, a broken spring or a bad shock...
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
cmassey_2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony91xj
What exactly did you install for the lift?

Could be bushings on either end of the leaf springs, shock bushings, a broken spring or a bad shock...
For the rear, I installed new RE 3.5 leaf packs and new OME shocks. Do you think some BPE's will help?
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
redyouch

probably your exhaust hitting the body in some location
[b]98 Cherokee Classic[/b] totaled
[b]95 Cherokee Sport[/b] flipped
[b]87 Wrangler[/b] sold for a profit... :)[/SIZE]
redyouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
truckin6382

My exhauset rattles against the frame and the rear shackle.
truckin6382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
anony91xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyouch
Could be that as well. What's a BPE?
Unread 08-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
anony91xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyouch
Unread 08-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
bogger jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

your rear shackle comes back when you hit a bump causing it ti hit on the rear frame rail. this is more likely if your springs all worn , which causes them to lay flatter. if you look there is only about an inch or less of space between the shackle and the rear frame cross member.
bogger jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
cmassey_2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony91xj
Sorry, it stands for Bar Pin Eliminator: http://jeephorizons.com/tech/jksbpe.html

bogger jeep: I thought about that as another cause, after re-checking the torque of all my bolts in the rear. I guess I could put color chalk all over the shackles and see if the chalk gets transfered to the frame rail after the next "clunk". Good idea.

redyouch: My exaust never gave me any trouble before the lift, but that doesn't mean it isn't just a coincidence. See, this "clunk" noise started happening right after I installed my lift, so my first thoughts were the changes I made in the rear. But I'll check that too, thanks!

Thanks everyone for your help so far, I think my next step would be for someone to reproduce the noise with my XJ while I stand outside and watch the rear. I'll let you guys know what I find, if anything. I really appreciate your help!
Unread 08-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #12
bogger jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

grease may be better chose to put on the point where it may hit. come nearer getting onto the frame. thats where mine was hitting.
bogger jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
cmassey_2006
2006 WK 

Hey, just wanted to update this thread. I removed my leaf packs this past weekend and greased the bushings and bolts real well. The noise has gone away and the rear of my Jeep is noticeably softer in ride quality because my shackles flex more easily now. Thanks for everyone's help. And thanks Balloo for your help in my other thread about this. I did finally get to test out my new lift this past weekend after resolving this issue and it performed very well and I had a blast! Thanks again!
Unread 09-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #14
BskisTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have larger aftermarket shackles?
This was one of my noise problems as well. I had RE shackles and found that the two of the stock rear bumper bolts were hitting the shackles. I drilled out nuts for the bumper bolts in the rear crossmember and put in larger shorter bolts. This helped with the noises in the rear, didn't hit the shackles anymore. Would check exhaust as well.
To come Skid Row engine skid.
BskisTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #15
cmassey_2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BskisXJ
Do you have larger aftermarket shackles?
This was one of my noise problems as well. I had RE shackles and found that the two of the stock rear bumper bolts were hitting the shackles. I drilled out nuts for the bumper bolts in the rear crossmember and put in larger shorter bolts. This helped with the noises in the rear, didn't hit the shackles anymore. Would check exhaust as well.
Nope, just the stock shackles. And my noise has gone away. After greasing them up it got me thinking about investing in some greaseable aftermarket shackles. But things are great now, so yeah.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.