Close to overheating?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Close to overheating?!

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
KMason
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Close to overheating?!

Hey everyone!
So i put a used motor in my xj about 2 weeks ago and all seems to be good
Oil is water free and she runs good
I am however having an issue with what i think is abnormal.

At idle or red lights my temp gauge is climbing to the 3/4 mark. Roughly 115 degrees celsius. 240 farenheit i believe. Never hits the red line because the Electric fan comes on and cools back down to normal op temp 100c (210f)
Highway she stays near op temp. So this is definetly a slow speed/ stopped issue. Ive replaced thermostat,fan clutch, and even the sending unit sensor at the rear of the head. Still no luck, same thing happening. There is of course fresh coolant in rad and no leaks. Someone please give me some insight because the acronym, Just Empty Every Pocket is becoming a real thing lol.

It has also been hot outside, but the cooling system should compensate for hot weather anyways.

Thanks for your time

KMason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

With the new fan clutch you have eliminated the #1 suspect of slow speed temp creep. What is the condition of radiator, WP and all other parts of the cooling system?
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Add a product called "Water Wetter" to your coolant. It will help.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
KMason
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My rad is in great shape. Some little rocks but no bent fins. Coolant looks good, waterpump seemed fine when i swapped from old block.

I think i am gonna splice a switch into the auxilliary fan relay wire. To get the E-fan pumpin in the meantime.

Anything else i should be looking for?
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
KMason
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Isnt water wetter used for race applications?
Its not terminating the original problem for my everyday driver.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Water Wetter and/or over-riding the e-fan are both just Band-Aids on an existing problem.

Service the cooling system. Replace any worn out or suspected weak parts, as needed to restore full cooling function.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.