Clockspring, airbag light, no cruise, twist of a problem... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Clockspring, airbag light, no cruise, twist of a problem...

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
PUNISHER_VETTE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clockspring, airbag light, no cruise, twist of a problem...

So the consensus on here a while back when i said my cruise and horn weren't working was that my clock spring was bad.

Well i was working on my steering box problem for the hundredth time and i guess i broke the clock spring this time as the air bag light is now on all the time when it wasn't before.

This really confused me as i turned the wheel a LOT one time dealing with the steering box and nothing happened, but this time i guess something triggered something to break and turn the light on.

Which means was it broken before?

Anyway i have no intention of fixing the clock spring as new it's just too much $$, and even new the junkyard wants $100. SO what's the easiest way to turn the airbag light off? And maybe why the light came on this time and not the other time...

PUNISHER_VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

I am under the impression that the Jeep won't even run without a good clock spring? Not to mention the effect on your insurance coverage should you have an accident and have disabled a safety feature.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well first thing to do would be to get your jeep scanned, something like a Snap On Modis scanner would be able to retrieve the Airbag code thats been set. Just knowing what code was set would help your diagnosis out a lot. As far as getting the light out, you could fix the problem or possibly go into the cluster and pull the bulb for the light. I know here in Virginia you cant pass state inspection unless the light is capable of lighting up during the first few seconds after you start the vehicle and then stays out. I would opt for trying to repair the problem. And yes the jeep will run with a bad clockspring. The clockspring has does not cause any drivability concerns.
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg55555 View Post
Well first thing to do would be to get your jeep scanned, something like a Snap On Modis scanner would be able to retrieve the Airbag code thats been set. Just knowing what code was set would help your diagnosis out a lot. As far as getting the light out, you could fix the problem or possibly go into the cluster and pull the bulb for the light. I know here in Virginia you cant pass state inspection unless the light is capable of lighting up during the first few seconds after you start the vehicle and then stays out. I would opt for trying to repair the problem. And yes the jeep will run with a bad clockspring. The clockspring has does not cause any drivability concerns.
Glad to hear it'll run with a bad clock spring. Thanks for this reply.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
PUNISHER_VETTE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

no inspections here so no need to worry about fixing it right now, i just want the light off.
Is there a fuse or how hard is it to take the dash apart to get to the bulb?

I already said that fixing it will cost $$ and this POS has already sucked way too much and will continue to do so until i'm able to find someone to take it off my hands for close to what i paid for it.

not to mention it still drives so badly that it's almost not even worth driving...

o and the reason i bought it for was to have a good winter car....guess the 4x4 not working defeats that purpose..
what a horrible car i got.
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Sc00ter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you need the cruise control? I have a fully functional clockspring from my 00xj that I replaced when I put in cruise. You can have it for the cost I paid to replace it with a cruise capable CS- $15 plus shipping if you are interested. Remember- no cruise.
Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
PUNISHER_VETTE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
Do you need the cruise control? I have a fully functional clockspring from my 00xj that I replaced when I put in cruise. You can have it for the cost I paid to replace it with a cruise capable CS- $15 plus shipping if you are interested. Remember- no cruise.
naa. if i was going to do it i might as well do it right.

If i look hard enough i can probably find someone on craigslist with a junk jeep who wouldn't think a clockspring is worth a whole lot.
What years have the same clock spring that i can use?

How hard is taking the wheel and getting to it? I saw the whole thing about waiting 10min after you disconnect the battery to make sure the bag doesn't go off.

But do i need a wheel puller?
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Sc00ter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, you will need a puller- takes me only a few minutes to pull one at the JY. I understand about wanting it done right.
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Sc00ter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

check second to last post.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...erokee-918913/
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
kipster01tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Sc00ter I have a 2000 TJ and am having a heck of a time trying to find a clock spring with cruise control. Can you tell me where to locate one?
kipster01tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipster01tj View Post
.... am having a heck of a time trying to find a clock spring with cruise control. Can you tell me where to locate one?
Try the junkyard, Morris 4x4, or RockAuto.com.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got mine off ebay.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.